another oil filter question >

another oil filter question

Notices

another oil filter question

Old 04-15-2012, 02:12 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default another oil filter question

I like to change my oil frequently and have seen from searching the forums that a Wix 51060r might be used instead of the Mercury racing 840634k01. I have found that the wix filters 28 gpm and 60 microns but cant find what the specs are for the mercury filter. anybody know?
Old 04-16-2012, 06:57 AM
Registered

I did an extensive search on these forums and on Google but cant find this info. I know Mercury does not manufacture the filters themselves and there is likely an identical filter out there with just a different label on it for half price. obviously Mercury wants to keep it a secret so they can continue to charge their outrageous prices for an oil filter.
Old 04-16-2012, 11:47 AM
Registered

Couldnt tell ya what the Mercury filter is. I use the Wix Racing 51060r filter though, if that helps any.
Old 04-16-2012, 01:05 PM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,821 Likes on 907 Posts

Originally Posted by MIlander
I did an extensive search on these forums and on Google but cant find this info. I know Mercury does not manufacture the filters themselves and there is likely an identical filter out there with just a different label on it for half price. obviously Mercury wants to keep it a secret so they can continue to charge their outrageous prices for an oil filter.
Here is a good thread http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/g...mendation.html

Many of the links in the thread do not work anymore, but there are many discussions about the specs of various filters. I have been using Mobil 1 M1-302 filters for over 10 years.
Old 04-16-2012, 03:21 PM
Registered

thanks Griff I did read that one but still nobody seems to know what the Mercury racing filter's flow and filtration specs are. must be top secret!
Old 04-16-2012, 04:37 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MIlander
thanks Griff I did read that one but still nobody seems to know what the Mercury racing filter's flow and filtration specs are. must be top secret!
how about call them and ask them ?
Old 04-16-2012, 06:06 PM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

I thought it was posted what brand of filter it was but I searched and didn't find it. I do know that a guy can drive himself crazy researching filters. Flow vs filtration.
Old 04-16-2012, 06:58 PM
Registered

Received 168 Likes on 106 Posts

mi,
Another possibility which I rarely see used in marine applications is a System 1 Filter. They are a screen type filter and come apart so you can examine them and clean the screen at each oil change. Circle track racers use them so they dont have to buy a filter each week plus they have the added advantage of being able to see if there is any bearing material etc in the filter and catch problems early. They are a little pricy but if you figure the cost over 10 oil changes and you never have to buy another one, I think they are a bargain. The micron ratings and flow figures are on thier web site and they simply spin on like a normal filter. Just another option.

http://www.system1filters.com/oilfilters.htm

Bill Koustenis
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md
Old 04-16-2012, 07:20 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Wink

Many Merc racing filters are made by Wix as proprietary part numbers and badging. Merc is not going to tell you or discuss it because they want you to buy their pricey filters. Wix is not going to give out the proprietary Merc spec they are delivering to Merc because they would loose Merc as a customer most likely. I would almost guaranty that the medias are probably the same spec and same micron and flow rates. We and many others have been using the Wix racing filters with absolutly no problems or issues. I doubt your oil ever gets dirty enough to even need changing the filter with every oil change, but I know it makes performance boaters feel better when they do! Quit micro-managing your oil filters.
My suggestion, save some money, put the good Wix racing filter on and use your boat! Spend more time and resources caring and servicing other important and many times overlooked parts and systems on your engine and you will be way ahead!
We see and breakdown many marine performance engines and I can not remember the last time a good marine or racing spec oil filter caused an internal engine problem or excess wear! Good Filters-Good Oils do not break or damage engines!, nor will they stop engines from having other problems or breakage!
Lot of performance boaters seem to talk and think there is some kinda VooDoo Magic in oil filters and lots of oils that will make more power, make their engines run forever and eleviate most engine problems and issues! - JMO - BULLSH*T!

Best Regards,
Ray @ Raylar

Last edited by Raylar; 04-16-2012 at 07:23 PM.
Old 04-16-2012, 08:00 PM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Raylar
Many Merc racing filters are made by Wix as proprietary part numbers and badging. Merc is not going to tell you or discuss it because they want you to buy their pricey filters. Wix is not going to give out the proprietary Merc spec they are delivering to Merc because they would loose Merc as a customer most likely. I would almost guaranty that the medias are probably the same spec and same micron and flow rates. We and many others have been using the Wix racing filters with absolutly no problems or issues. I doubt your oil ever gets dirty enough to even need changing the filter with every oil change, but I know it makes performance boaters feel better when they do! Quit micro-managing your oil filters.
My suggestion, save some money, put the good Wix racing filter on and use your boat! Spend more time and resources caring and servicing other important and many times overlooked parts and systems on your engine and you will be way ahead!
We see and breakdown many marine performance engines and I can not remember the last time a good marine or racing spec oil filter caused an internal engine problem or excess wear! Good Filters-Good Oils do not break or damage engines!, nor will they stop engines from having other problems or breakage!
Lot of performance boaters seem to talk and think there is some kinda VooDoo Magic in oil filters and lots of oils that will make more power, make their engines run forever and eleviate most engine problems and issues! - JMO - BULLSH*T!

Best Regards,
Ray @ Raylar
I agree we overthink it, myself included. But I have to ask, what is your opinion on flow vs filtration? For example, the standard Wix 51060 flows 9-11 gpm and filters down to 21 microns. The racing filter flows more at 28 gpm, but filters less at 61 microns.

Last edited by onesickpantera; 04-16-2012 at 08:08 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.