Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Running a thermostat >

Running a thermostat

Notices

Running a thermostat

Old 04-17-2012, 06:18 AM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

buy later model t-stat housings. you can make the old ones work, but they are old and rusted up.
Old 04-17-2012, 07:36 AM
Registered

Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by dereknkathy
buy later model t-stat housings. you can make the old ones work, but they are old and rusted up.
how do you know his are rusted up,have you seen them?
Old 04-17-2012, 11:06 AM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by BadBoy
just q carbs no efi thanks guys. I have another ? I changed from the old log style exhaust manifolds to center rise, my thermostat housing is 2 parts, lower has outlet to the water pump (circulating pump) outlet to sea water pump 4 outlets to exhaust/riser, upper has 2 outlets to exhaust/riser.With center rise I only need 4 total. Is there a upper without outlets and still be able to run stat?
Im not sure what you mean when you say you only need "4" total.

Normally, when upgrading to some performance manifolds, you only need one 1" water hose feeding the exhaust manifold. If you have a t-stat housing that has 2 outlets per manifold, like most factory mercruisers, they make a stainless Y fitting just for that purpose. This way you get water to the manifolds when the stat is closed.
Old 04-17-2012, 09:20 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

( MILD THUNDER) My center rise manifolds have water fitting on the bottom of the manifold and water fitting on the riser and a small fitting on the riser that goes to the trans cooler (TRS drives), that makes 4 water connections to the exhaust per motor.

I have pics of my stat housing don't know how to put on here. What style stat housing do I need to use?

The old log style manifolds have water inlets/outlets at both ends of the manifolds and 1 on the riser, and a small 1 on the riser for the trans cooler. That makes 3 per manifold, 6 on the stat. 4 bellow the stat, 2 above the stat.

My center rise manifolds are mercruiser

Last edited by BadBoy; 04-18-2012 at 11:56 AM.