intercooler plumbing? >

intercooler plumbing?

Notices

intercooler plumbing?

Old 04-17-2012, 03:14 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default intercooler plumbing?

What is the proper way to feed water to the cooler? I have a Hardin Sea Strainer and was thinking about taking water directly from the strainer by using a fitting to direct water to the cooler. Is that the correct way of doing this? Do i need a dual purpose water pump on the engine of some kind to push the additional water thru the engine and the cooler. I have not studied this on other boats but i am considering the addition to my engine configuration.
Old 04-17-2012, 03:53 PM
Registered

I'm using the Hardin sand/sea intercooler strainer plumbed directly to a transom pick up for the intercooler only which is just gravity feed, as you increase speed you get more flow, when idling around the intercooler isn't seeing any water at all, it's worked good for me, doesn't run as rich at idle and when I'm idling and docking. My .02
Old 04-17-2012, 09:47 PM
Registered

Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts

bob teague recomends a -12 line in,and 2 -8 lines out,the pickup is a force fed.i have this system on my cat,works great.
Old 04-17-2012, 10:15 PM
Registered

Received 40 Likes on 16 Posts

As mentioned, just force feed the intercooler. EIther install a seperate pickup that just feeds the intercooler or use the pickup for the engine and the drive pickup for the intercooler. The use of a strainer depends on where you boat.If there is a bunch of grass, sticks, seaweed, etc, then I would use a strainer. If the water stays clean, then it's not mandatory.
Eddie
Old 04-18-2012, 01:25 PM
Registered

How do you flush the intercooler system after use? The salt eats it up very quickly if not flushed after every use?
Old 04-18-2012, 09:05 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

[QUOTE=mrdwp;3667036]How do you flush the intercooler system after use? The salt eats it up very quickly if not flushed after every use?[/QUOTEi]

I run the drive feed to the innercooler, I have a separate pick-up for the engines. Note, I had the system the other way but the engines ran a little hot and I had a bunch of water for the innercooler. Since I switched I have plenty of water for the engine and inercooler. I have flush hose bib valves for the engines. I have a dual water dump for the innercoler. To flush the innercooler I hold a hose with decent water pressure on one dump port and run water for 5-7 minutes. fresh water will cycle through cooler strainer and out the adjacent dump next to where i'm holding the hose. I recommend a copper (coppernickel) innercooler for salt water, not aluminum. Hope this helps.