Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter
    Registered

502 crank question

Does anyone know if the genIV carbed 390h.p. 502 has a forged crank from the factory or not? All my searching said yes, but I want to be 100% sure. Thanks in advance.

Registered
    ob,
    Someone is probably going to proove me worng on this, but I didn't think there was such a thing as a cast 502 crank so I would have to say that yours is definitely forged ?

Bill Koustenis
    Advanced Automotive Machine
    Waldorf Md

Platinum Member Platinum Member mcollinstn's Avatar
    My Boats:
    1991 F311SR1
    Your 390/502 has a forged crank.

There's no such thing as a cast 502 crank (as supplied in a motor sourced from GM). All cranks that came from GM in a 502 are forged. All pistons that came from GM in a 502 are forged (but there are several variations). All rods that came from GM in a 502 are forged and have 7/16 bolts. All heads that came from GM on a marine 502 are rectangular port (some crate motors had alternate heads).

There's no such think as a Gen IV 502. The 396/402/427/454/502 Std Deck GM Big Block is a MkIV thru around 1990, when the Gen5 was released.

MC
    I see London, I see France...

Registered
    My Boats:
    1998 Awesome 31 Thundercat
    Quote Originally Posted by mcollinstn View Post
    Your 390/502 has a forged crank.

There's no such thing as a cast 502 crank (as supplied in a motor sourced from GM). All cranks that came from GM in a 502 are forged. All pistons that came from GM in a 502 are forged (but there are several variations). All rods that came from GM in a 502 are forged and have 7/16 bolts. All heads that came from GM on a marine 502 are rectangular port (some crate motors had alternate heads).

There's no such think as a Gen IV 502. The 396/402/427/454/502 Std Deck GM Big Block is a MkIV thru around 1990, when the Gen5 was released.

MC
    MC, All good information. I think he was calling the MkIV block the Gen IV. To further your post, in 1998 the Gen 6 block was brought into production by GM. My Merc 7.4L
    330P motor was a Gen 6 block. Along with:
    http://www.crateenginedepot.com/ZZ-5...P9419C604.aspx

Registered
    Thanks for the response guys. All the searching I did, I couldnt find a cast crank either. I just wanted to double check before I purchased this engine. Again, thanks for the help.

Registered
    Quote Originally Posted by ROTAX454 View Post
    MC, All good information. I think he was calling the MkIV block the Gen IV. To further your post, in 1998 the Gen 6 block was brought into production by GM. My Merc 7.4L
    330P motor was a Gen 6 block. Along with:
    http://www.crateenginedepot.com/ZZ-5...P9419C604.aspx
    Rotax454,

You are correct. I was calling the mkIV the gen IV by mistake.