Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Oils - again >

Oils - again

Notices

Oils - again

Old 06-26-2002, 08:48 PM
kook

Default Oils - again

First off, you guys see Teague's response to the infamous "dino vs. synthetic oil" in the latest issue of PowerBoat? Good stuff.

Some years ago, I was heavily into race bikes. Of course, oil was always talked about, since we were constantly spinning those jap motors over 10 grand.............. and we had little other maintenance to do to them besides change oil/filter, check/adjust chain, etc...

This is a few years dated, but I thought I'd post it. There was a guy on the Yamaha R1 BBS that worked for some type of lab, where they tested oil - I forget the details.

Some of this may be old news to some.............some may not know WTF he is talking about........... What caught my attention was the comparison on Penzoil's PureBase (all the Penzoil you see now will have the Purebase logo) with the "new" Mobil 1.

He starts by responding to me about my question on the different types of synthetic oil. I still don't quite understand what hydrocracked means............

There is a big difference, but I don't think we need it in our cars/bikes. The polyolester based oils [Redline & Motul to name two] are similar to those developed for turbine aircraft engines where much higher operating temps are encountered and increased resistance to varnishing/coking are required.
Ester based is definitely better, but like I posted to someone else's question, Motul is pretty pricey, hard to get and you'll have to do your homework to make sure your getting full ester synthetic as they make all types, semis, etc.

Redline claims that all of their oils are ester based, BUT they don't have a bike oil so ???

I think the PAO stuff is "good enough" since we are probably changing it 3 or 4x more than necessary.

Mobil 1 *used* to be PAO, they claim they still are, but our lab guy had an Mobil 1 oil sample from a Corvette come up as non-PAO [i.e. hydrocracked]. You might have noticed that Mobil 1 is now a "Tri-synthetic" formula; if Mobil 1 is non-PAO, we think it happened at the formula change. The bike oil is still PAO.

Pennzoil claims PAO as well.

Castrol Syntec is hydrocracked, like Pennzoil purebase *but* Purebase is available in 5 qt jugs [at WalMart] for just over $5 so it is definitely a good deal for non-synth apps. I'm always recommending Purebase for cars since most of its properties are near synthetic but its still conventionally priced.