502 bbc hp with aluminum heads and cam work >

502 bbc hp with aluminum heads and cam work

Notices

502 bbc hp with aluminum heads and cam work

Old 04-21-2012, 10:35 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 502 bbc hp with aluminum heads and cam work

just looking for some general information how much horsepower can a 502 bbc make with just changing the heads (aluminum heads) and doing work to the cam with a holley efi system but still keep reliability and stock bottom end.
Old 04-21-2012, 10:43 PM
Registered

Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts

i built a 516 [502+.060] with edelbrock rpm marine heads,hp500 efi cam,and 10 to i pistons that made 603 hp,i,and my customer were very pleased with the numbers.
Old 04-21-2012, 10:44 PM
Registered

forgot to mention,single plane intake and 850 carb
Old 04-22-2012, 12:59 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by slippy0217
just looking for some general information how much horsepower can a 502 bbc make with just changing the heads (aluminum heads) and doing work to the cam with a holley efi system but still keep reliability and stock bottom end.
You can easily make 600-630hp and 600+ ft lbs. If you want one stop shopping Marine Kinetics can set you up with the complete package.
Old 04-22-2012, 10:31 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

On the build platform you are talking about (502 BBC - NA), the real power and cost is in the heads. The cam is straight forward providing you are working with a true marine professional - Bob Madera. Don't discount the intake as there is power there to be had or loss too.

The most power development is what your choice is for heads and at a minimum there are CNC ported, or you go for the maximum potential of hand porting. That is another entire subject matter. Don't let flow numbers confuse what porting methods or design perform the best.

Most everything else you upgrade will produce a more reliable motor package. Example: If your block contains a stock GM forged crank, it is externally balanced. Internally balancing the crank will not net you a given power increase, however it will add reliability.
Old 04-22-2012, 10:47 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Speaking of a 502 C.I. natural aspirated marine motor, what would be very very interesting is having a "Marine Masters Engine Build Contest". Using some baseline criteria:

502 C.I. Naturally Aspirated Single 4150 or 4500 carb or TBI or port fuel injection (no direct injection allowed)
92 octane consumer grade pump fuel (no additives allowed)
Specific designed exhaust system to be used for every motor entered into the contest
RPM limited
All other rules and regulations follow the Engine Masters program. Now THAT would be interesting.

It would be "Put up or
Old 04-22-2012, 10:49 AM
Registered

i don,t know how anybody ever got by without bob madera
Old 04-22-2012, 10:57 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by ROTAX454
Speaking of a 502 C.I. natural aspirated marine motor, what would be very very interesting is having a "Marine Masters Engine Build Contest". Using some baseline criteria:

502 C.I. Naturally Aspirated Single 4150 or 4500 carb or TBI or port fuel injection (no direct injection allowed)
92 octane consumer grade pump fuel (no additives allowed)
Specific designed exhaust system to be used for every motor entered into the contest
RPM limited
All other rules and regulations follow the Engine Masters program. Now THAT would be interesting.

It would be "Put up or
with all due respect,i think you need to reread pos 1 from the origional poster.
Old 04-22-2012, 11:15 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by mike tkach
i don,t know how anybody ever got by without bob madera
What a lovely shade of green you're wearing Mike..
Old 04-22-2012, 11:48 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Wink The 5 G's of Engine Building

I'd like to present a more wide view way of looking at any good power and torque production from any performance engine including marine performance engines.

Good base short block with good ring to bore seal + weak heads (poor valve job or flows)+ good camshaft+ good induction system+good exhaust = poor horsepower and torque production per cubic inch.

Good base short block with good ring to bore seal +good heads + poor camshaft choice+ good induction system+good exhaust =poor horsepower and torque production per cubic inch.

Good Base short block with good ring to bore seal+good heads+good camshaft choice+ good induction system +poor or weak exhaust = poor horepower and torque production per cubic inch.

Good base short block with poor ring to bore seal+ good heads + good camshaft choice+ poor induction system+good exhaust = poor horsepower and torque production per cubic inch.

Poor shortblock with poor ring to bore seal + good heads, good camshaft choice+ good induction system + good exhaust = poor horsepower and torque production per cubic inch.

And Finally:

Good base shortblock with good ring to bore seal+ good heads+ good camshaft choice+ good induction system +good exhaust = GREAT horsepower and torque production per cubic inch!

What does this obviously mean, again gentlemen, engines are air pumps that burn air and fuel mixed properly in the combustion process. If any of these systems are weak . ie. shortblock, heads, camshaft, induction and exhaust, you are going to end up with weak results! Don't ever look to one or just a few of these areas to provide you with a good end result!
You must make sure that you have the operative word "Good" in all these 5 areas to produce an engine that will provide maximum horepower and torque per cubic inch within some basic marine performance engine parameters, ie: camshaft designs and sizes may be limited by possible reversion issues in a wet exhaust, compression ratios will be limited by fuel octane and type burned, exhaust may have varying efficiencies based on physical space and routing restrictions and the overall quality of these 5 systems will vary also by the available budget for the total build.

When you are planning, specing, building or rebuilding a marine performance engine always try to look at all 5 of these systems and combine the best combination of these 5 to give you the best overall result in power and torque.
Don't get hung up on one or two and not put the same effort into the other three or four as your end result good or poor will be directly proportional to the overall effectiveness of all 5 systems!

Good Block
Good Heads
Good Camshaft
Good Induction System
Good Exhaust

JMO, but one I feel will always produce the best results!

Best Regards,
Ray @ Raylar

Last edited by Raylar; 04-22-2012 at 11:56 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.