Aeromotive fuel pump

Notices

Aeromotive fuel pump

Old 04-23-2012, 09:02 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Young Performance
Which pump is it and what kind of power are you making? What is the injection setup? That can make a huge difference.
Eddie
Eddie, i have the red Aeromotive pump. Before I installed it i contacted Aeromotive and they stated that is would support 1000 HP EFI SCI. On the dyno Friday, the engine had 901 HP at 5500 RPM with plenty more to go. Pressure was dropping off quickly. As a result A/F's started to climb just as quick. I was able to compensate just for Dyno testing by increasing the map at the RPM's the engine was losing pressure. I called Aeromotive today and they pulled back their comments and recommended the eliminator pumps.
Old 04-23-2012, 09:05 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Which pump is it and what kind of power are you making? What is the injection setup? That can make a huge difference.
Eddie
Sorry missed this info. Set up is 871 540 with (8) 80 LBS injectors in a plate above the blower. I run the pressure at 50 LBS + boost reference.
Old 04-23-2012, 09:14 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by articfriends
Red aeromotive pump runs out of steam pretty quick around the 700 hp level on a efi blower motor. If your running fairly small injectors and turning up the pressure to 70 or 80 to force the injectors to act bigger this happens even earlier as pumps have performance curve-ie-the more pressure you run, the lower the output. also, I always wired my pumps with a 50 amp bosch relay and 10 gauge wire, used the normal efi pump power to just turn on the relay. If your voltage/amperage isn't maintaing because of too small of wire pump output will be lower than rated, you would be surprised how much the voltage can drop at full load with too small of wire. I had to switch from a red aeromotive when I started making over 700 hp, pressure dropped off at wot as motor was using all pump could put out. I went to a essex blue pump, it was better but still was limited at about 750 -800 hp. When I made 950hp the essex fell off on dyno, went to a aeromotive "eliminator" pump, puts out significantly more than the red. I went even higher the next rebuild to 1100 hp, the eliminator couldn't keep up at wot so I added a voltage booster that forces the pump to increase its output by turning voltage up to 16 volts under boost. There are alot of alternatives to those red pumps, Weldon makes really nice pumps, I stayed away from them when I upgraded mine simply because my return regulator and lines were too small to bleed off all the extra fual they pumped when at idle. Nowadays they have controls that toggle the fuel or reduce the voltage at idle if trying to run a huge pump also. Running the appropriate sized injectors also helps, the bigger the injector the less fuel pressure you need to run to make same power-again, a pump that might put out 1000 lbs per hr at 40 psi might drop to 700 lbs per hour at 75 psi, Smitty
We have similar set ups. I also run a bosch relays fed from the Mefi and #10 AWG wire. I'm going to the Eliminator pump. I'm going to call it quits on further power advancements. The power now is all this hull and drives can handle. Whats amazing is the power outputs available with a fairly mild hydraulic cam fuel injected 540 motor can make. And with such drivability.
Old 04-24-2012, 08:51 AM
Registered

Received 40 Likes on 16 Posts

Yeah, there is no way that pump will support 1000 hp. As Smitty said, I to have seen them fall off at around 700 hp.

You also have the benefit of having the injectors on the inlet side of the blower. That's makes a pretty big difference. If you had the injectors in the intake runners, you would be able to support even less power with it. You have plenty enough injector, just not enough pump. I've seen 8-65# injectors support almost 1100 hp in a Whipple with the injectors in the throttle body, like it normally does. If you take the same setup, but move the injectors into the intake runners, you are lucky to get to about 950 hp, since the injectors are fighting against the boost to flow fuel.

Personally, I would get away from the Aeromotive pump and go to a Weldon. Their 1100A would be a perfect pump for you. It is super quiet and very reasonably priced. I have used a ton of them and have yet to have a problem with any of them. I used to use Aeromotive pumps and got tired of them not only not being able to support the power that they claimed, but them only lasting a year or 2. Once I went to the Weldon pumps, I have never been happier. Don't hold me to it, but off the top of my head, the 1100A runs around $400-$425. I'm pretty sure that is cheaper than the Eliminator.

GIve me a shout if I can help. I deal the Weldon's if you would like to try one. I don't have an 1100A at the moment, but I should be able to get it pretty quickly.
Eddie
Old 04-24-2012, 08:48 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Yeah, there is no way that pump will support 1000 hp. As Smitty said, I to have seen them fall off at around 700 hp.

You also have the benefit of having the injectors on the inlet side of the blower. That's makes a pretty big difference. If you had the injectors in the intake runners, you would be able to support even less power with it. You have plenty enough injector, just not enough pump. I've seen 8-65# injectors support almost 1100 hp in a Whipple with the injectors in the throttle body, like it normally does. If you take the same setup, but move the injectors into the intake runners, you are lucky to get to about 950 hp, since the injectors are fighting against the boost to flow fuel.

Personally, I would get away from the Aeromotive pump and go to a Weldon. Their 1100A would be a perfect pump for you. It is super quiet and very reasonably priced. I have used a ton of them and have yet to have a problem with any of them. I used to use Aeromotive pumps and got tired of them not only not being able to support the power that they claimed, but them only lasting a year or 2. Once I went to the Weldon pumps, I have never been happier. Don't hold me to it, but off the top of my head, the 1100A runs around $400-$425. I'm pretty sure that is cheaper than the Eliminator.I

GIve me a shout if I can help. I deal the Weldon's if you would like to try one. I don't have an 1100A at the moment, but I should be able to get it pretty quickly.
Eddie
Thanks Eddie.
Old 04-25-2012, 09:05 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I run one but I noticed after a couple years they slack off....I replace mine evry two years and sell my other one for 90% of the money......The reason I haven't upgraded is for all the tuning points made above...