Yet another GPS speedo question >

Yet another GPS speedo question

Notices

Yet another GPS speedo question

Old 04-23-2012, 08:44 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Yet another GPS speedo question

I have searched through all the threads on GPS speedo antennas. I cannot find what I am looking for. So, here is my question(s). I have a Gaffrig tattle tale GPS Speedo on my Baja 33 outlaw. The battery died on the antenna so after reading a thread on here. I purchased a Garmin OEM 17x HVS NMEA 0183 antenna. I have it installed where the original Gaffrig antenna was. I have it wired to a unused accessory dash switch to 12v. I hooked up one of the NEMA wires from the antenna to the white wire on the small molex plug on the speedo. The speedo has a 6 wire plug in the middle for power and recall functions. Then it has a 2 wire molex plug off to the side for the antenna. When everything is turned on the speedo needle goes to about the 180 deg. position. Then to 90, 360 then it will rest at 270 deg. position and stays there all day. I've read that this means no GPS signal. Can someone help me out? Maybe a homemade wiring diagram or something. Thanks for any help.

click
Old 04-24-2012, 06:08 AM
Registered

Why not connect it directly to your GPS? The antenna you bought may be speak to a NMEA 0183 compatible device, but that does not mean it (the antenna) puts out the proper 0183 signal you need. I believe this is generated by the GPS unit itself. This is why the Gaffrig/Livorsi antennas are so expensive.

Just hook it up to a GPS unit and you have the best of both worlds.
Old 04-29-2012, 10:53 PM
Registered

I appreciate your response. However, I have the Gaffrig speedo head and a new antenna that meets the requirements, so I would like to use what I have. I have read that this combination works great and the antenna picks up the satellites better & quicker than most antennas. But noone states how to wire it. I have a notice from Livorsi that some speedo heads with the molex connector will not work on some newer antennas and they (Livorsi) will rewire the speedo head for $35. Has anyone had any experience with with this?

TIA

click