Ignition coil...which one? >

Ignition coil...which one?

Notices

Ignition coil...which one?

Old 05-02-2012, 10:30 PM
Registered

Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by stevesxm
in broad strokes, yes. in the vast majority of cases , and i would put that number at 95 % , on engine combinations that have been done by real oem manufacturers and barring some bizzare and crazy modifications that then require some alternative system,
yes. the factory stuff is best every single time. i have run hundreds of different combinations from esentially every manufacturer on earth at one time or another and in every case have yet to see an example where some aftermarket part was BETTER than stock... and by better i mean either a quantifiable increase in power or torque on the dyno or in the cases where the dyno wasn't available and we did back to back race track testing, i never saw a single instance where the lap times were better.

i include mercruiser in that list of oems. there isn't a thing wrong with that gm system nor will bolting on any msd junk.. and their stuff IS junk, make any difference at all in performance.

an addendum and an example... i ran a catagory of sports racers that required a 2 litre for motor. those came with point distributors. so everyone went to aftermarket relucter systems of some sorts and MSD 6 's. i ran a distributer pack and coil from a nissan b210... an econmy 4 cylinder nissan. aside from wing any number of championships, i never had an ignition failure of any type ever. the msd guys all carried 2 spares in the trailer and a spare prewired into the car...

why do you want ignition components where you have to have a spare on your key ring just to get home ?

now... just so that i am not misunderstood... i am NOT saying that all stock ignitions are best for all combinations. clearly that is not the case... a AA fuel dragster making 5000 hp at christ knows how much boost and 15 gals of fuel in a 1/4 mile needs a different system than your motor...

but what your motor, barring supercharging, or some other extreme set of modifications will work better with a properly operating stock system than anything the aftermarkert has to sell you.

actually one correction about oem stuff... the british stuff was and remains complete garbage no matter who made it. even msd stuff is better but then again having a ligtning rod taped to your roof was more reliable than both of them
STEVESXM,my question to you was if you were saying that aftermarket parts were junk,and you gave a disertation about top fuel cars,and said you have raced every kind of engine combination from every manufacturor on earth,and now,after i attempt to educate you ,you feel the need to attempt to insult me,as far as being stupid,my IQ is 120 plus,so i can assure you i am far from stupid,at this point,i,and other oso members no longer have to wonder,we have your number,but please carry on,we are loving the laugh you cause with what you think is inteligence.o,and buy the way,i think you are a ignorant prik,maybe to much dope in your homeland,or maybe you were just born ignorant.best thing you can do is
Old 05-03-2012, 07:53 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Baja226sport
Anyway, back to what I was asking......basically reliability and value is what I am looking for. And to use with thunderbolt ignition on some mildly modded 509's
I'm in a similar situation as Baja226sport and also waiting for an answer to his question.
Old 05-03-2012, 08:44 AM
Registered

you could replace with the mercury coil at 73.69 each,or you could use the msd high vibration coil at 47.99 each,the msd coil will last forever and won,t need to be replaced again.from a value standpoint,the choice is simple math.the fact is both choices will performe the same,but the oil filled coil merc sells will eventually leak and need to be replaced,he msd coil contains no oil to leak out.
Old 05-03-2012, 09:27 AM
Registered

in broad strokes, yes. in the vast majority of cases , and i would put that number at 95 % , on engine combinations that have been done by real oem manufacturers and barring some bizzare and crazy modifications that then require some alternative system,
yes. the factory stuff is best every single time. i have run hundreds of different combinations from esentially every manufacturer on earth at one time or another and in every case have yet to see an example where some aftermarket part was BETTER than stock... and by better i mean either a quantifiable increase in power or torque on the dyno or in the cases where the dyno wasn't available and we did back to back race track testing, i never saw a single instance where the lap times were better.

i include mercruiser in that list of oems. there isn't a thing wrong with that gm system nor will bolting on any msd junk.. and their stuff IS junk, make any difference at all in performance.

an addendum and an example... i ran a catagory of sports racers that required a 2 litre for motor. those came with point distributors. so everyone went to aftermarket relucter systems of some sorts and MSD 6 's. i ran a distributer pack and coil from a nissan b210... an econmy 4 cylinder nissan. aside from wing any number of championships, i never had an ignition failure of any type ever. the msd guys all carried 2 spares in the trailer and a spare prewired into the car...

why do you want ignition components where you have to have a spare on your key ring just to get home ?

now... just so that i am not misunderstood... i am NOT saying that all stock ignitions are best for all combinations. clearly that is not the case... a AA fuel dragster making 5000 hp at christ knows how much boost and 15 gals of fuel in a 1/4 mile needs a different system than your motor...

but what your motor, barring supercharging, or some other extreme set of modifications will work better with a properly operating stock system than anything the aftermarkert has to sell you.

actually one correction about oem stuff... the british stuff was and remains complete garbage no matter who made it. even msd stuff is better but then again having a ligtning rod taped to your roof was more reliable than both of them
:b ong:
Old 05-03-2012, 09:30 AM
Registered

: stooges:
Old 05-03-2012, 02:17 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mike tkach
: stooges:
I believe stevearino hit a nerve

You guys do realize he just does this to get a rise out of you right?
Old 05-03-2012, 02:53 PM
Registered

stevereno is a ignorant moron,he did not hit a nerve,i just dont take kindly to insults from a POS like him.he cant be taught anything because he knows everything,just ask him!i think he believes his own bullchit,after all ,he did say he has experiance on every engine from every manufactorer in the world.he needs to put down the crack pipe
Old 05-03-2012, 05:22 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

OK...sooooooo you don't like steve whoever.....got it......Will the high vibration coil from msd work fine with the merc ignition? I am sure it will work but I never gave thought to the resistance and what not that was mentioned here......

I personally have used msd boxes with nothing but bad results as far as being reliable, but if the coil is good then ok.
Old 05-03-2012, 05:46 PM
Registered

ya,the msd 6m box seems to be junk,i think they are importing them from china,i have replaced several leaking merc coils with the msd high vibration coil with no returns,one of them was about 10 years ago.msd has a coil identical to what merc is selling,but it is still an oil filled coil,allthough it is one third cheeper than the one merc sells,you cant go wrong with the msd high vibration coil.
Old 05-08-2012, 11:03 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sounds good, I think I will pick up a pair!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.