Please help! Power steering pump alignment >

Please help! Power steering pump alignment

Notices

Please help! Power steering pump alignment

Old 05-01-2012, 02:29 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Please help! Power steering pump alignment

Please help me figure out how my power steering pump is supposed to be mounted on my 454 gen VI. I have 2 different brackets to choose from. One looks to be an imco relocation bracket and the other a merc stock bracket. I will attach pictures. I will also attach picture of the back side of my pump. First off, it looks like I will need some spacers to install it, but I don't see any such spacers in the parts diagrams on mercruiserparts.com. If spacers are not used there is no way to mount the pump because the black "return tube" would hit the bracket. (see picture) The pump and bracket are off the old engine that was all apart when I purchased the boat. The stock bracket came with the gen vi motor I recently purchased. Both brackets have the same problem so I'm thinking it is the pump or the pump studs or missing bosses. If I use the homemade spacers the last guy used, the pump is not aligned with the crank pulley. It does not extend out enough. It is about 3/8 inch in from where it should be when I put a straight edge across the crank pulley. I'm wondering if my pump is not the correct pump? Can someone give me advice please or post a picture of the backside of your PS pump.
Attached Thumbnails Please help! Power steering pump alignment-rps_bracket2.jpg   Please help! Power steering pump alignment-ps_bracket2.jpg   Please help! Power steering pump alignment-ps_pump2.jpg  

Old 05-01-2012, 04:27 PM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,783 Likes on 884 Posts

Neither one of those brackets uses any spacers. The Imco bracket needs a washer where the alternator mounts tot he bracket.
Old 05-01-2012, 08:06 PM
Registered

Thanks. I was thinking it is my pump that is the problem. Does anyone have a pic of the back of a PS pump that would fit? If you notice the pump has a tube coming right out the middle of the back side of the pump and is routed along the back of the pump. So there is no way to mount the pump without spacers. If I tried the tube would hit the bracket. I'm guessing my pump is not a stock pump?
Old 05-01-2012, 10:49 PM
Registered

Received 414 Likes on 249 Posts

Neither one of those brackets look like the one on my gen 6 454. PS pump mounts all by its self on port side and alternator mounts on top starbord side.
Old 05-04-2012, 06:04 AM
Registered

Well, it looks like my pump is a re-manufactured pump - maybe from Cardone. I'm not sure of the model, but it's just a little different from stock causing the pulley not to line up. Buying a new pump.