How much hp increase can u expect by adding intercoolers

Old 05-03-2012, 09:01 PM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

http://teaguecustommarine.com//media...r_plumbing.pdf
Old 05-04-2012, 08:20 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks appreciate the info. That sea strainer is about half price of some of the others i have seen. Dont know the brand assuming you do. Is this something that you have used yourself.
Old 05-04-2012, 08:39 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good help Mild Thunder, I would leave it up to his engine builder on what works for him. Coming to the forum for help and knowledge is a good thing, questioning the builders recommendations is going to cause a conflict. If his builder has positive results, I would not question his abilities or knowledge, if that is the situation I would surely seek someone else that has the answers to my questions.
My statement on inter-coolers of choice would be the The Blower Shop, they are tested 100psi, the inlet and outlet fittings are 3/4 npt, Super Chillers are 1/2npt. I my self would run a 1" pickup with 1.250" into a Teague Strainer with -12 maile outlet and feed the coolers with dual inlets and -12 dual outlets. You want to flow as much water through the cooler as possible. The outlet will be higher in rear so for sure the water level will be full to the top with out any air gaps. This is what I have done over 20 yrs of dealing with coolers. This works for me and if someone has a better way of doing this with better results, my ears are open for any information.
Maybe Yankey, can chime in and explain exchangers, since this is something he deals with on a daily basis.
Old 05-04-2012, 08:43 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 53 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by mrdwp
How much added horsepower can you expect by adding intercoolers to a blown 540. Nothing crazy putting out about 750 hp currently
Fuel saftey is your biggest win.

Other than that if memory serves me you gain
1% of over all power per every 10 degrees of
air temp you drop......from your current air temp intake.

Thanks
Jon
Old 05-05-2012, 04:51 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

INtercoolers are nice...lots of condensation gets into marine engines sometimes...can be hard on push rods I hear.
Old 05-05-2012, 11:30 PM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Hydrocruiser
INtercoolers are nice...lots of condensation gets into marine engines sometimes...can be hard on push rods I hear.
Are you saying intercoolers help prevent condensation? Or cause it? I'm not understanding.