Oil pressure issue motor with 30 hrs >

Oil pressure issue motor with 30 hrs

Notices

Oil pressure issue motor with 30 hrs

Old 08-08-2012, 08:13 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by stevesxm
thats painting with a pretty broad brush... and in the end look at the way the decisons get made and what your options are...

the advice here is always " go to a pro so it gets done right and that you get a warranty..." good advice.

so... now there is an issue ( which by the way is STILL unidentified in any factual sense )

so... yes... you should end up back there to see whats up. that only makes sense... and really if you don't trust him to do the inspection, then why did you end up there in the first place ? and if you use the same judgement to pick your new guy ( whose sole motive in life is to make the OTHER guy look like as much as a butthead as possible and get as much of your money as possible " fixing what that other guy screwed up" ) then what makes you think that this choice of builders will be any better ?

and like so many threads like this , there is only one side to the story. and i point out that on the occassional time when you get the builder on here to defend himself, more often than not his story is pretty comprehensively different .

as to your point... " what can you do ? " not easy and pretty inconvenient for the warranty holder but if there is genuine concern about being screwed you make arrangements for yourself and maybe your other " consultant" present when it comes apart and see for yourself.

i have been on both sides of that and its not a big deal if everybody is honest. everybody looks, everybody measures, conclusions are drawn and decisions made.

done deal. of course if everybody ISN'T honest then nothing matters anyway.

whats the bottom line ? you play the cards you dealt yourself. get him in a the same room as the motor with someone else and do the inspection and get the answer. a REAL answer. this isn't magic and its not rocket science ... its yes and no answers..

clearences good ? yes or no
housing dims good ? yes or no
cam free and holes aligned ? yes or no
and 50 other questions just like them

its not the space shuttle. its a 1950's chevy V-8 .

properly inspected, the answer and the responsibility will be self evident.
appreciate the words of wisdom...If the engine builder was on here he would probably counter that my engine "looked like it overheated"...that is his get out of jail free card. Indeed back in June my impeller did go out on me as I was leaving the no wake zone, but I immediately smelled the rubber exhaust smell and shut it down and got towed 100 yds back to the slip...The oil psi issue was before this happened, and I know the engine never got above 200 deg...he says my engine got to 350 deg "he can tell"....wouldn't head gaskets have been blowing everywhere if that happened.

Aside from whether clearances were done right/assembly error, we have the issue of the oil not flowing in the correct manner, which I am convinced is the cause of the thrust bearing to eat itself up, which resulted in low oil psi. The hoses were hooked up based on the advice of the builder, who told me the oil should hit the cooler first, then the filter...which would result in no oil ever being filtered or cooled ever from first startup. Even if it wasn't 100% his fault, the fact I spent big bucks to 2 yrs ago for this guys to build me an engine at here I am 39 hrs later having to do it all over again, he should make some concessions... Its good customer svc....Example today, at Disney world with my kids, my son got stung by a wasp on the safari ride. Is it Disney's fault that this happened? of course not, but they still gave us free coupons for food and ice cream to show they were sorry it happened. that's good service. My engine builder just has this matter of fact attitude, "your engine failed, you need a new block" (which he conveniently has one in his shed he will sell me for $500) going to be a couple grand to get you back on the water"...Doesn't seem right to me.
Old 08-09-2012, 06:56 AM
Registered

I'm still trying to figure out how the needle bearing behind the cam gear would affect the oil pressure? Are you thinking that the worn bearing allowed the cam to walk far enough to uncover oil holes in the cam bearings? Also, you can run the oil through the cooler than filter as long as you are running it the right way through the filter and the byparss in the block is set to allow this additional restriction.
Old 08-14-2012, 03:10 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by blue thunder
I'm still trying to figure out how the needle bearing behind the cam gear would affect the oil pressure? Are you thinking that the worn bearing allowed the cam to walk far enough to uncover oil holes in the cam bearings? Also, you can run the oil through the cooler than filter as long as you are running it the right way through the filter and the byparss in the block is set to allow this additional restriction.
not sure, but the builder said the oil pressure issue is related to the thrust bearing being eaten away.