Water Pumping Issue >

Water Pumping Issue

Notices

Water Pumping Issue

Old 05-09-2012, 12:48 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Water Pumping Issue

We have a 32 Fountain with twin 6.2 MPX engines and raw water cooling system, new impeller kit installed after customer came in and said it was running hot. We flushed the entire system and found minimal restrictions, all were cleared. Now it will not pick up the water on it's own. When the flush is installed at maximum pressure and the low water pickups taped off, it will not pick up the water. We removed the drive and checked there for restrictions, none found, but flushed anyhow. With a special tool we made to fit directly into the water pickup tube in the transom assy, we can apply water pressure from the hose and the engine will pump and circulate water, but it will not pick it up on it's own. WTF, please anyone have any ideas, would surely appreciate them.
Old 05-09-2012, 12:52 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

Is there a check ball system installed?
Old 05-09-2012, 01:09 PM
Registered

Yes but it is on the recieving side of the water flow, not the intake, could this be causing the problem of why it is not taking the water up on it's own? Seems that wouldn't have any effect on the intake side, but I am looking for answers here!!
Old 05-09-2012, 01:18 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

Those spring loaded check ball systems/gadgets are JUNK! Hollow it out if you can. They get all gummed up with sand and other crap, even if you have a strainer.

Also, are you sure you have the hoses in on the right ends of the pump?
Old 05-09-2012, 01:33 PM
Registered

Yes, they are right. Also when I run the hose even at a low pressure directly into the water intake tube at the transom assy, it will pump the water, you can see it surging the water flow. It acts as if it just doesn't have enough suction, but there are no visible signs showing a leak, could the whole damn pump be bad in some way? I installed a new o-ring seal that came with the new Mercury impeller kit.
Old 05-09-2012, 01:46 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

are you sure the pump is turned correct, i did that one time a bought three diff housings and finally figured i clocked it where it was sucking from the discharge side,
Old 05-09-2012, 03:12 PM
Registered

Received 43 Likes on 24 Posts

If there is a freshwater flush system check that out where the tee is it has a checkvalve in it that could be stuck
Old 05-09-2012, 03:27 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I had one like that once. Tried everything, and like you, I couldn't find any wear in it. Swapped it to the other motor, still wouldn't work.

Finally I got frustrated and went and bought a new housing, put it on, and poof, it worked like a charm.

Tossed the old one in the trash and never looked back.
Old 05-09-2012, 03:48 PM
Beak botr
VIP Member

Installed the "special" flushing kits from Perko, all worked well for 2 years. Then after boat sat for 4 weeks on the lift, the little check valve stuck closed on the suction side and I smoked two Impeller/pump kits before figuring it out that it just would not open and why it would run fine on the flushing hose but not pick up water from the pickup. Removed both kits and took out the sliding plunger valve with malignant violence and reinstalled. No problems in 6 years.

The piston plunger had a rubber type face and it was glued closed by buildup of slime on the face, it was only couple of thousands thick, but glued the valve closed as if I had pumped superglue through there.
Old 05-09-2012, 08:09 PM
Registered

Thanks to each and everyone of you guy's I loved your comments and thoughts on this crazy and frustrating issue I have been having. There are no flushing devices on these motors, they are just totally stock 6.2 MPX MerCruisers and have the factory cooling systems on both, no strainers, nothing. Wish it could be that, but I have boiled it down to what the gentleman with the Cigarette Cafe' Racer said, the actual pump unit itself is bad, must have seals leaking or something, so a new one is going on it. I am so glad on my personal boat I bought and rebuilt back to factory specs a 1999 Mercury Racing HP 500 carb engine. I love this set up, only modification I did to it was rather than a circulating pump, I installed a crossover, I have plenty of water flow. And I replaced the Crane springs with an Isky set thats stronger, it runs great. Thanks again everyone, I really appreciate your input.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.