Notices

carb

Old 05-13-2012, 02:40 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default carb

are all carter/weber carbs a pita to start cold ,i have a 750 (238197708) that wont start cold unless i spray it, but after that it will start all weekend with no problem ???
Old 05-14-2012, 09:01 AM
Registered

Received 398 Likes on 229 Posts

Do you have fuel in the bowl after it's been sitting? Actuating your accelerator pump should be no different than spraying. Unless the carb is dry and it takes a long time for the pump to fill the carb or catch it's prime. I'd check your fuel filter to see if it's restricting fuel.
Old 05-14-2012, 09:47 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is your choke working and adjusted? The throttle needs to be near idle while cranking as well so the choke stays closed.
Old 05-14-2012, 10:30 AM
Registered

As said, choke is very important. Until I got mine adjusted right, I had to spray it with starting fluid. Now, one shot with the accel pump and it starts right up.
Old 05-14-2012, 10:46 AM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

carter-weber. AFB? it isn't stock carb. my Edelbrock versions don't even have choke actuators on them. i bought a pair of orig carter afb's on ebay for parts. gonna install chokes. but many replacement carbs come without the choke guts. some even without flappers.
Old 05-14-2012, 11:26 AM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,814 Likes on 903 Posts

Originally Posted by michaelb63
are all carter/weber carbs a pita to start cold ,i have a 750 (238197708) that wont start cold unless i spray it, but after that it will start all weekend with no problem ???
It is common when they get older. The fuel leaks out of the bowls internally.

Originally Posted by dereknkathy
carter-weber. AFB? it isn't stock carb. my Edelbrock versions don't even have choke actuators on them. i bought a pair of orig carter afb's on ebay for parts. gonna install chokes. but many replacement carbs come without the choke guts. some even without flappers.
Weber carbs were stock on Merc engines for several years (early to mid 90's) and they did have chokes.
Old 05-14-2012, 04:45 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Weber carbs were stock on Merc engines for several years (early to mid 90's) and they did have chokes.[/QUOTE]

my bad. i thought they stayed q-jet up till EFI.
Old 05-14-2012, 05:49 PM
Registered

Griff is right on the money. Fuel bowls are empty leading to a lean condtion. The alcohol in the fuel kills carbs and efi systems alike. My Holley 4150 had the same problem. Alcohol was eating my accelerator pump. Swapped in a 50cc alcohol diaphram problem solved.
Old 05-15-2012, 03:31 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Griff
It is common when they get older. The fuel leaks out of the bowls internally.
Hmm, where does this happen? There are no gasketed surfaces below the top deck on these carbs and although it has been awhile since I've looked at one I can't imagine how this is possible. There are no fuel bowl gaskets like on a Holley and the only way out on an AFB is for the fuel to force its way down through the jets at the bottom (blocked by metering rods at 0 vacuum) and over the top.

If your accelerator pump still provide a good squirt the bowls aren't empty.
Old 05-15-2012, 12:39 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

1st off when you shut the engine down, it's hot..fuel evaporates and after a week or two it's all pretty much gone...normal...those carbs do not start well with chokes not working well...but even then if been sitting a while have to spin over to get fuel back in them...I run a pair on my gibson and they are great...I have elec pumps so I just let fuel fill for a few seconds and fires right off...elec chokes...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.