Electrical issues.....I'm stumped

Notices

Electrical issues.....I'm stumped

Old 05-18-2012, 09:09 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Electrical issues.....I'm stumped

First, hatch actuator works perfectly outside of boat. Dpdt switch is wired correctly from factory and power is going to the proper wires. There is power to each of the leads at the motor when switch is thrown in appropriate direction. But motor will not operate when in boat!

Second, trailer switch is wired to have power coming from the down side of drive switches???? Shouldn't the trailer switch have hot at all times and certainly not only while drives are held in the down/in position. This is factory wiring on a 2001 scarab 33 AVS with 115hrs?!

Help me!
Old 05-18-2012, 10:02 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

On the hatch actuator, check your ground. You could be seeing normal voltage with open circuit, but if your ground is loose or corroded, it might not have enough to start the motor. Check the voltage with the motor hooked up, and trace it back to the switch terminal boards and find the fault. 12V marine systems are notorious for this, as they don't have the ability to burn off the corrosion.

The only reason we use 12V in sport boats is because it all carried over from the automotive products and it has stuck for some reason. 24V yacht systems are much better.
Old 05-19-2012, 02:06 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Got both issues handled, the trailer switch was wired wrong from the factory, put power leads to a known hot and voila. The hatch ram switch was getting power, but the main feed under the dash was loose and under load would do nothing!

thanks