Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Whipple problems >

Whipple problems

Notices

Whipple problems

Old 07-06-2002, 12:57 AM
NineLives

I dont hardly give it any throttle. Using the three blade it just always breaks loose at 3000rpm. Just when the boat starts to plane out. Yea I know three blades and step hulls + torque = no good but its what I had to try out today. I have access to a four blade but a friend is borrowing it on his boat and he is in Savannah right now. I didnt think I would be on the water so I let him take it for the weekend. The 24p isnt that bad for just boating around and it beats sitting on the shore.

Old 05-14-2004, 06:39 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ninelives,

Happy to hear you are up and running now. I had a Whipple installed a few weeks ago and I couldn't be happier. Not one problem so far except that it takes a few more cranks to start when it's cold. The engine runs as smooth as ever(500EFI) but has a ton more power when you get into it. I was lucky, Dustin recommended a former employee, Bernie, at Lake Havasu, to do the install. He did, and brought his computer on board for the initial run. He did some minor timing and fuel adjustments and we were done. Runs perfectly.

Hope you have the same success I had. It's a great setup and has an awesome sound when you hammer it.

Good luck,

Tom
Old 05-14-2004, 10:04 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

hey nine lives,would you say that the whipple is easier to install than a centrifugal blower?just wondering cause i had a procharger before on a stang and did not need any ecu mod.also what size boat do you have?
Old 05-15-2004, 09:25 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

thanks for the reply
Old 05-15-2004, 09:43 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by hotlavey
Ninelives,

Happy to hear you are up and running now. I had a Whipple installed a few weeks ago and I couldn't be happier. Not one problem so far except that it takes a few more cranks to start when it's cold. The engine runs as smooth as ever(500EFI) but has a ton more power when you get into it. I was lucky, Dustin recommended a former employee, Bernie, at Lake Havasu, to do the install. He did, and brought his computer on board for the initial run. He did some minor timing and fuel adjustments and we were done. Runs perfectly.

Hope you have the same success I had. It's a great setup and has an awesome sound when you hammer it.

Good luck,

Tom
where can bernie be contacted in havasu??

thanks

gm
Old 05-15-2004, 11:01 AM
Registered

Thumbs up

Bernie's phone number is 928-4534799. He is the best. His personal ride is an Awesome Cat twin engine, Whippleized, 125mph monster.
Good luck-

Tom
Old 05-15-2004, 07:45 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Whipple problems

thanks

gm
Old 05-15-2004, 10:39 PM
Registered

Having supercharged more merc motors than I can count, I can assure anyone that the only way to have good, reliable performance is to use stand alone, aftermarket engine management systems. (ECU`S) There are several available that are quite good but must be installed by a QUALIFIED tech experienced in fuel and ignition mapping.
Old 05-15-2004, 11:52 PM
Registered

gmnhra,

I see you are in Orange Co. Likewise, in Villa Park. You?
Old 05-16-2004, 06:41 PM
Registered

WildThing, I helped a buddy install a Whipple on his 25ft Eliminator last year with a 496ho and I runs flawless. The ecu was right on after we sent it in to Dustin. I wouldn't hesitate to add one on a 496ho again.

Quick Reply: Whipple problems

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.