Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Whipple problems >

Whipple problems

Notices

Whipple problems

Old 06-29-2002, 06:18 PM
NineLives

Angry Whipple problems

I have a 1999 7.4 mpi. Ok so I recieved my Whipple kit just about one month ago. I changed my heads to the earlier design which I have been told is less prone to detonation. The large portions of the kit are well made and went on with no hassle at all. The other pieces of the kit such as the accesory brackets, hoses, and fuel fittings either didnt fit or required major changes to get installed contrary to their instructions. There were several important components missing from the kit like the coil bracket and fuel line adaptor but Dustin next day shipped them to me when I called him. Most of the bolts that came with the kit were too short or the wrong thread except for the intake bolts. Many many trips to the hardware store were needed.

Just before I did the install I had the engine checked for compression and everything else that might be a problem later on and it was just fine.

Anyway it took me all of eight hours to install the kit including the head swap. The boat should have been running three weeks ago except for one major problem - the computer. I sent it to them before I started on the install. Called them up to make sure they had already sent it back and they said it was already shipped out. I waited a week and no computer. Called them again and they told me it was still with them and they would next day it. that was on a thursday, I recieved the computer the following tuesday. Plugged it in just like I am supposed to do (battery disconnected/etc) and the boat barely ran. It covered the stern and everything behind it in black crud in a matter of seconds all the while warning alarms are ringing. I immeadately thought I had done somthing wrong in the install so I rechecked everything. Nothing I could see wrong. Took it up to the local hi-po shop and had them check it out and they tell me the computer is the culprit(code 51 but they say its the worst 51 they ever saw). Another call to Whipple and they tell me that this sometimes happens and to send the computer back to them and they will fix it. So I call the shop and tell them the news. After they pull the comp off the boat they tell me that it isn't the one that we sent Whipple. OK another call to whipple, they tell me that my original ECU is of a newer programming which is harder to flash burn than the older style so to save me money (umm isnt the reprograming included in the price of the kit?) they swapped me to the older version. Without asking me if I wanted to do it this way. This second opinion is costing me unnecessary money when it isnt even my mistake that is causing the problem.

So I give them the benifit of the doubt mainly because no one I ask can tell me wether what they say is true or not. I send them back the ECU next day air and call to make sure they recieved it. They said they got it and it was already on its way back to me. Good deal so I think.

Got the computer back this morning and installed it. hook the battery back up, check everything one more time, turn the key... fires one cylinder and dies. Try again, runs just about as long as it takes for me to let go of the key. Well I have been dealing with this thing all day now and cant even get it to stay running long enough to flash the timing gun once. The best that it did was run for 3 seconds and puff white smoke out of the flame arrestor when it died. Last time around it ran bad but we could still set base timing. I got 3 people here and we all think its the computer. Checked fuel pressure/ plugs-wires/ everything is fine.

As badly as the boat ran the first time around its worse now. I have had this boat finished for 3 weeks now just waiting on whipple to work out the computer issue and it still isn't resolved. To me the problem is worse because the engine wont even run now.

Does anyone here know if what Whipple told me about the newer ECU(1999 7.4 mpi) is true? I think all this hassle would be solved if they would simply reprogram the computer that was originally on my boat instead of giving me the run around about how much more difficult it supposoedly is to program. When I bought the kit I asked if there was anything extra I needed to be aware of and they told me that my only problem could be the L-29 heads so I changed them. They never told me that my ECU was going to be an issue and I really feel that whatever this computer they sent me is from it is the problem.

On monday I will call them once again and try to convince them to just reprogram my original ECU and i know hes going to tell me its going to cost extra. I dont think its fair for me to have to pay them to fix a mistake that they made do you?

Have any of you ever had these issues with your supercharger kits and how did you resolve them if you did?

Old 06-29-2002, 10:50 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry to hear about your problems. I too have had very bad luck with a supercharger(not Whipple). It cost me a small fortune. I swore off sc's but now my boat is slow and dont have an extra $20,000 for a nice normally asperaited 650 hp motor. Now I am in the market for a sc again. Whipple, procharger or vortech? I have a 454 mag mpi and am very dissapointed in hearing this. I realise things can happen, but this the type of situation I went thru. Just tell the truth, not what you think will make things eaiser. I don't know if this is what Whipple has told you. Please keep us informed as this could have a big impact on my buying decision. Thanks Joe
Old 06-29-2002, 11:27 PM
NineLives

The biggest problem I have had is not the missing parts, or the things I had to finesse to fit, its the computer. Without a properly functioning unit all my engine is is just a very expensive paperweight sitting in a bathtub. I really believe the ECU Whipple sent me is a malfunctioning unit. I wish they would have just reprogrammed my original ECU. Had they actually informed me of their intentions to switch them on me I would have told them I wanted MY ECU returned. I even wrote my name in big white paint on it just so this wouldnt happen. Two reprograms and the engine has run 2 horribly different ways. No other changes to the setup besides plugging in the ECU each time I get it. It is extremely frustrating to be held up because of somthing as simple as getting a base program properly flashed to a working ECU. On top of the fact that I was told AFTER I had already sent them my ECU that my particular year/model engine would cost extra to program. I bought the kit for a 310 hp 7.4 mpi to put on a 310 hp 7.4 mpi. I dont think it should be that much of an issue for them to program the ECU from a 310 hp 7.4 mpi. And I definately dont think it should cost extra to program the ECU from the engine the kit is intended for.

Old 06-29-2002, 11:33 PM
NineLives

And this is the first time I have ever had problems from a supercharger install. I have put kits from both vortech and procharger onto cars and they too required a computer modification. Never had any issues like this before and those kits were substantually more complicated. I went with a Whipple on my boat because I had heard nothing but excellent things about them and they sold a kit specifically for my engine.

Old 06-30-2002, 10:23 AM
Registered

Received 94 Likes on 22 Posts

Man thats tough to hear.........I think its time for Dustin to personally step up.......
Old 06-30-2002, 12:41 PM
NineLives

Dustin has stepped up. He handled the ECU the second time around. He is the one who told me it would be better to reprogram this older ECU than use my original.

Old 06-30-2002, 01:25 PM
pimpthis.com
Charter Member

I had a similar experience. My motor is the 1998 7.4 MPI. Originally the stock motor came with the old style computer. The old style computer is longer (rectangle shape) and the harness plugs into the ends. The new style is more square and the connectors plug in the top. The connectors are the same but the location of the wires is not innerchangable. When I added the Procharger to my engine I worked with Jim at Arizona speed and marine. He gave me a schematic so I could switch the wiring over to work with the new style computer. The benefit of the new computer is it is not necessary to use a spark control module and you can run a 2 bar map sensor that will recognize vacuum and boost. I am wondering if you are trying to use the wrong computer? !998-1999 was about the time they switched computers. I think you need to determine what you had originally and program that one. Just my .02.
Old 06-30-2002, 07:28 PM
NineLives

About my computer, externally the one that was factory on my boat and the one Dustin sent me looked identical. The two harnesses plug in on the top of it not the ends. Dustin told me the reason he didnt give me my original computer back was because the data on my ECU was of a "newer style" and would take longer to program. I really wish he would just consider the possibility that the ECU he sent me is defective and simply reprogram the one I had. I at least know that the boat ran perfectly with the one I had, I even had it checked for codes just before I sent it off so that no existing problems on my boat would cause problems later.

He claims that to program the ECU I sent him would take too long (5-8 hours) to program and would have to charge me extra. Its already cost me near $200 just to have a shop tell me that the computer whipple sent me is malfunctioning. Not to mention all the time I have had to sit on hold just to talk to the guy and have him tell me its nothing to worry about. I think it would be good business for them just to reprogram my ECU and send it back. Or at the least send it back so I can put the thing back to stock and actually drive it. Understand that the ECU they sent me is so messed up that the boat wont even fire all eight cylinders before it dies. the first time they sent me this mystery ECU the boat would idle very rough but thats about it. It wont even run now!

Old 07-01-2002, 10:35 AM
Registered

Default Just a little more patience?

9L- I do feel your pain... I personally believe these type projects are best done in the early season because murphy has a way of helping out. (My hatch had two trips to the factory before they got it right).

I installed my Whipple kit for my 2001 454 mag efi in March of 2001 (3 hrs on the boat). All the peripherals/fasteners were as they should have been. I did have a computer problem- If i remember right it was Mefi3 Vs mefi 4 or something like that. when I was faced with the starting issues Dustin helped me walk thru the diagnosis to confirm all was in order. I eventually borrowed a computer from my buddy's 2000 502 mag and the boat lit right off so we new it was the computer. Seems like we shipped 2 or 3 before i was running. It was a frustrating wk or so but early in the season so far less painful.

The good news is that I've got 75 hrs on the boat now and the performance and reliability has been flawless, I had long forgotten my initial computer gremlins until I read your post.

Keep a level head and keep talking with Dustin, together you guys will get this worked out.
Old 07-01-2002, 02:04 PM
NineLives

I talked to Dustin and he cleared a few things up for me. He told me that my Original computer had a version A code and he had sent me a computer with a version B code on it. I guess due to some miscommunication it was thought that i had recieved an older code but he says what I have is newer now. He told me that my problem is a lean start up condition and to raise fuel pressure until it starts (if it will start). I will try that right now. Either way he says that the ECU has to be sent back again for a reprogram. UGGGGHHH!

Quick Reply: Whipple problems

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.