Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Head Compatibility Question >

Head Compatibility Question

Notices

Head Compatibility Question

Old 05-26-2012, 09:17 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm looking at doing the same thing...088 on a 454 gen IV what exactly is needed, thanks Rob
Old 05-27-2012, 11:00 PM
Joe
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If anyone interested, i have 2 pair of 088 heads in great shape had 230 hrs on them, ran fine just changed them out with aluminum....500 a set [email protected]
Old 05-28-2012, 10:44 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ezstriper
I'm looking at doing the same thing...088 on a 454 gen IV what exactly is needed, thanks Rob
Hey Rob, if your blocks don't have the three lower holes like endeavor's do in the picture then it's set up for series cooling like most older blocks. You can use a Gen VI gasket as a template and drill your own to convert it, or just use a Mark IV gasket and leave it series cooled. On the older blocks there is one spot that is very close to the middle upper coolant passage in the 088 head but there's usually more then .125" which is more then enough unless you've got really chitty deck surfaces or the hole in the head is badly corroded. I just tried 3 different blocks in the shop and this one was the closest but still .115". Back in "ye olde" days it was quite common to put the 100cc chamber L29 Gen VI heads on older 454's to bump the compression, never had any issues even with steel shim gaskets.
Attached Thumbnails Head Compatibility Question-photo-2-.jpg  
Old 10-20-2012, 06:57 PM
Registered

Received 121 Likes on 66 Posts

Just an FYI for anyone thinking about doing this. I did exactly what the master of the Peanut Butter Ports said. And the 088's on a gen IV worked perfectly. Never had any leaks all summer long.