My Engine Saga any advice would be helpfull >

My Engine Saga any advice would be helpfull

Notices

My Engine Saga any advice would be helpfull

Old 06-16-2012, 09:03 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My Engine Saga any advice would be helpfull

I want to first apologize because this may turn out to be a novel. I own a Beautiful 2005 baja 245. Ill Post Pictures(once i figure out how). Lets start by the cause: Three years ago i was out of town and didnt get back to my boat in time to winterize. So as you all know i found a cracked block. Needless to say it was a 6.2 and it was everything it could do to push my boat 55 mph. I wasnt to upset. I looked at it as an opportunity to get good power in my boat. i quickly realized what engines cost. So I looked on oso and bought what was said to be a completely refreashed 509 with all forged internals, M1 Procharger with intercooler, completely programmed, only 5 psi at WOT, "reliable" lol. Bought my engine from Cat House Marine. They are complete THEIVES. Paid $14,500. they did a half as* install and i had my guys finish rigging it in atlanta where i live.
I start my boat get running and 10 minutes later my # 6 piston disinigrated. so my local shop took petty on me and got me a 525 long block from merc racing. i used my 502 efi system for the intake and fuel injection. I bought new stainless marine exhaust. and then sent my engine to Twister Motor(Gary Grimes) to have it dinoed and tuned. without super charger 498 hp. with supercharger 702 hp.
I have dino sheets if any one is interested. Everything looked great. Gary and his guys then tuned the engine while it was in the boat running and found that i had a waterpressure issue. They salved this by putting in a constant flow purge valve of some kind. It took care of that issue. They ran my boat at lake lanier and got it to 98 mph and it was still going faster. He said congratulations you have a dangerous boat. he suggested external steering at this point. Anyways after all of that was and done i got my boat back. 2 weeks ago i had about 4 hours on my new engine not including dino and testing time and some how i have lost compression on all the cylinders on the starboard side. We pulled the heads and found that the # 3 piston appears to have run lean. It melted side of the piston and caused some bottom end issues. to be Determined. We had sent off fuel injectors to have flowed and they came back great. all of the cylinders appear to be burning properly. #3 looked washed but that exhaust port looked fine. New 525 longblock is on its way once again.

Questions is what are we missing. i cant afford for this to happen again any help would be great. i have pics of boat and engines. i can email them to you if that helps
thanks.
Old 06-16-2012, 09:34 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just taking a guess, the stock fuel line and pickup from tank could handle the 6.2 fuel needs but can't with the new engine
Old 06-16-2012, 09:36 PM
Registered

Replaced with much larger lines from pick up all the way to engine.
Old 06-16-2012, 09:38 PM
Registered

Also Added a new fuel pressure gage just to make sure we didnt have a fuel issue. if anything we are a little rich
Old 06-16-2012, 09:45 PM
Registered

Default fixx

Originally Posted by EPIC BAJA 245
Replaced with much larger lines from pick up all the way to engine.
you need to do a more finer tune on the dyno and with egt's in each cylinder along with afr o2's in each header..

sounds like they have it running on its ragged edge..i would detune it a bit like take a pound of boost away to make it more reliable..
Old 06-16-2012, 09:55 PM
Registered

it was tuned with o2s and eg's. i think it has a three psi pulley for the super charger but at 5400 rpm on the dino it had a boost pressure of 5psi. i have all of the dino specs but as far as the guys a twister motor were concerned egs were great. maybe it was them triing to cover there butts!!
Old 06-16-2012, 10:10 PM
Registered

Default fixx

it was tuned with o2s and eg's. i think it has a three psi pulley for the super charger but at 5400 rpm on the dino it had a boost pressure of 5psi. i have all of the dino specs but as far as the guys a twister motor were concerned egs were great. maybe it was them triing to cover there butts!!
you mentioned they retuned the engine in the boat after they dynoed it..unless they used their own exhaust in the boat with a egt at each exhaust valve or they just used afr readings in the boat?? your injectors are at their max unless you installed bigger ones..this could also be the issue....

its wierd that it was just #3..
Old 06-16-2012, 10:25 PM
Registered

#3 i know it has every one stumped. they used their exhaust when taking the readings. gary mentioned that it could be the Injector driver in the computer.??
Old 06-16-2012, 10:43 PM
Registered

Received 40 Likes on 16 Posts

You said the lines and such were replaced from the pickup. Was the pickup itself replaced? Every Baja I have ever seen has a small plastic pickup in the tank. It has a square 90* fitting on top. An adapter fitting screws into the square 90* fitting. When the adapter fitting goes in, it ends up blocking half of the already small hole in the pickup. Has the filter head been replaced with a larger one? Is the fuel being returned to the tank? If not, it can/will cause aeration if it is being returned to the inlet side of the pump, especially with a larger pump.

Here is a pic of a fuel pickup that came out of a Baja. Next to it is one that we make to replace the small plastic ones. Does yours look like this? Were ya'll watching the fuel pressure gauge while running hard? I suspect you have a fuel delivery problem.
Eddie
Attached Thumbnails My Engine Saga any advice would be helpfull-fuel-pickup1.jpg   My Engine Saga any advice would be helpfull-fuel-pickup2.jpg   My Engine Saga any advice would be helpfull-fuel-pickup3.jpg  

Old 06-16-2012, 10:45 PM
Registered

Received 40 Likes on 16 Posts

#3 i know it has every one stumped. they used their exhaust when taking the readings. gary mentioned that it could be the Injector driver in the computer.??
I have never seen an intermittent injector driver in a Mefi. I have seen one or two fail, but they didn't work at all.

What injectors do you have in it now?
Eddie

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.