525 Seawater pump lube >

525 Seawater pump lube

Notices

525 Seawater pump lube

Old 09-08-2014, 10:13 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Biggus
I use straight 2 stroke oil as it's made to be diluted with gas. Seems to work great.
To get the full benifit of the lubricating value of the two cycle oil, you must evaporte all the fuel.

Oil and gas is a lousy lubricant. It is best to chage the oil, probably more than once a year.

Ken
Old 09-08-2014, 04:06 PM
Registered

Received 398 Likes on 229 Posts

I find it easier to just remove the fuel pump from the sea water pump and use my Jabsco oil sucker to remove the old oil and replace with Amsoil Extreme gear that I use in the drive. The Amsoil seems to handle the dillution well. As a matter of fact my level never changes and I don't have any leaks, so I am assuming the fuel leakage is only enough to add an odor to the oil as the viscosity doesn't seem to be altered either. It may be much ado about nothing at least for me.
Old 10-06-2014, 06:38 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just pulled my sea pumps and changed this oil as all have discussed. With it on the garage floor I filled the reservoir with a little medical 6cc syringe. I filled it to the "bottom" of the threads while looking from above. Now a nagging fear just popped into my head... Is there a possibility of putting too much oil in the reservoir?? I didn't measure, I just "filled it up" while the pump reservoir was lying horizontal on the floor as opposed to vertical when it is mounted on the motor. Thanks for any replies.
Old 10-06-2014, 07:04 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Cockingoff
I just pulled my sea pumps and changed this oil as all have discussed. With it on the garage floor I filled the reservoir with a little medical 6cc syringe. I filled it to the "bottom" of the threads while looking from above. Now a nagging fear just popped into my head... Is there a possibility of putting too much oil in the reservoir?? I didn't measure, I just "filled it up" while the pump reservoir was lying horizontal on the floor as opposed to vertical when it is mounted on the motor. Thanks for any replies.
You're good to go. Hell once you had them out you should have added a drain plug and saved time each year. Either way you're on the right track...change it every season.