Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
single carb vs efi same horsepower... upside?? downside?? >

single carb vs efi same horsepower... upside?? downside??

Notices

single carb vs efi same horsepower... upside?? downside??

Old 05-26-2012, 06:48 AM
Registered
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default single carb vs efi same horsepower... upside?? downside??

Looking at buying a single carb new motor set up making around 600hp... With some tweeking... My merc 500efi's could get close. I have a triple 500 set up in my 47 fountain. If i switch to single carb motors... Will i show any gas savings? Will it effect resale value up or down?? Any suggestions are greatly apreciated!!
Old 05-26-2012, 06:52 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Team: to get the HP 500's to 600 horse you would have to tweak them quite a bit. Probably stroke them, cam, head work. The EFI manifold will be a limiting factor also. The 500 efi's are pretty thrifty on gas so there will not be a savings.

Wannabe
Old 05-26-2012, 07:07 AM
Registered
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by wannabe
Team: to get the HP 500's to 600 horse you would have to tweak them quite a bit. Probably stroke them, cam, head work. The EFI manifold will be a limiting factor also. The 500 efi's are pretty thrifty on gas so there will not be a savings.

Wannabe
Ok, understood.... What if we compare the stock 500 efi's to some pro built 572 700hp single carb motors? Will resale ramp up or down? Also thinking about reliability on the efi vs single carb....
Old 05-26-2012, 09:11 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

that depends on who's looking at buying....some think EFI greatest thing since sliced bread...others see it more of a headache with much more to go wrong..harder to service...with little gains...so ???
Old 05-26-2012, 11:16 AM
Registered

Received 892 Likes on 320 Posts

if I recall, hotrod or some other mag did a test back to back with an efi and then a carb. after tuning there was very little difference between the two. not enough that you would notice when driving. the efi did use slightly less fuel but that is because you can tune every rpm point to be exact where the carb will always have a spot or two that are a little off. their opinion at the end was that it is personal preference due to the nearly identical power.
Old 05-26-2012, 03:05 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 814 Likes on 373 Posts

The majority of people I talke to would look more favorably on a set of fresh factory blue motors that are not too modified vs old school carbed engines, efi has became more accceptable these days and expected by many people. A triple engine boat is a hard sell already , if your keeping it long modify it the way you want though and enjoy it, Smitty
Old 07-06-2012, 06:58 AM
CNC
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I'm surprised at the number of high end boats and engines (MTI, Skater, Nortech, Sterling, etc) who use carbs rather than EFI. I am converting to EFI, hoping I'm doing the right thing....keeping my carbs just in case though...
Old 07-06-2012, 07:11 AM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

i have done allot of research on switching to efi in the past, after allot of reading i came to the cunclusion that there is little benifit to having efi. because of the high rpms we run consistantly you will not get much if any better gas milage from efi and they restrict you if you are doing high perfromance. in stock form i wouldnt mind a efi motor, if i am trying to gain power then i would be removing it. there is a reason why you see efi manifolds up for sale all over the place. now saying that, i have been looking at possibly pro charging, i wouldnt mind efi on a pro charged motor since it seems that there allot of guys that have the computer programing nailed on that setup. lack of efi would not push me from buying a boat
Old 07-06-2012, 08:32 AM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

little benefit switching to efi. NO benefit switching back to carbs. especially on a really high dollar boat like that.
Old 07-06-2012, 10:11 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would think the stock 500EFIs would be the most saleable motors in the boat. Had a buddy with a 2004 47 that came with 525s in it. Wanted to go faster so he built them to carbed 600s. Boat picked up like 3 mph. And then the drives started to blow. That boat is a tough sell, stock blue motors are probably your best bet.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.