Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Hook in hull question... 320 Baja Force >

Hook in hull question... 320 Baja Force

Notices

Hook in hull question... 320 Baja Force

Old 06-09-2012, 07:07 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Dude... two things.. # 1 YOU should have bought my SCARAB!
#2 ha! just kidding , talk to Glass Dave, he the man! he'll tell all ya need to know, ps, the Scarab had no hook, fresh motors that finally had ALL the bugs out.. and you know I gave it away...
Old 06-09-2012, 08:08 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Tim,

I would fix it!! With my 365 mags my boat ran 64- 65.. I know your over 400hp so you should have been running faster than me.. And I would take the tail end of it out befor filling it in!! Good Luck!!
Old 06-09-2012, 08:33 AM
Pirate of the Chesapeake
Gold Member

Your buddy the baja man is right a lot of boat builders put that hook in there to keep the boat down,more controllable less tendency for the guy who buys one and is not experienced to fly the boat (hence liability issues ) my 10 meter had a hook as I think most did.It was removed now the boat will get loose like right now.So you have to know what's up so you won't loose it or hurt a passenger.Hooks can be a good thing to the average boater or a NEW boater to the sport.So he can be safe and continue boating My 2 cents JOHN SR
Old 06-09-2012, 09:12 AM
Registered

Received 607 Likes on 275 Posts

Originally Posted by Glassic R.T.
Hey guy ..not to be rude but ........a hook will scrap you speed , and to tell you the truth fixing the areas of concern or ( blueprinting the bottom ) just might gain you a few miles per hour without dumping a whole lot of money into motor upgrades to achieive the same thing ...which in the end is worth a try considering we all ......want to go a little faster ....................just my 2 cents which is 3 cents short of a Nickle .
What's up "Offshore Ginger"? Artie; R.T.
Old 06-09-2012, 11:20 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Probably apples & oranges comparison, but I have a Force 235 that had the "intentional hook" built into the hull. It amounted to a set of "ramps" about 12" long and about 3/8" in height that were added to the back of the hull along the lifting strakes. I was certain I was losing speed from this, and like you I could never get this boat to carry the bow. I had the hooks sanded off, and the only change I noticed was an increased tendency for the boat to porpoise. Little if any increase in speed. Your mileage may vary, but it was a waste of time and money for me.

I still can't get the bow out of the water. Part of the problem may be all of the crap that I have up in the cuddy, but I think these boats just carry a lot of weight in the forward section of the hull. Look at how far forward the driver sits compared to a lot of other boats. This was done to increase cockpit space, and that is one of the things I like about these boats, but moving 200 - 400 lbs 2 feet further towards the bow further increases the amount of lifting force needed to get that bow out of the water.

I may try swapping to a prop with a bit more cup to try to get more bow lift, but I am probably chasing my tail.
Old 06-11-2012, 04:43 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 204 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by Scarab3DMC
Dude... two things.. # 1 YOU should have bought my SCARAB!
#2 ha! just kidding , talk to Glass Dave, he the man! he'll tell all ya need to know, ps, the Scarab had no hook, fresh motors that finally had ALL the bugs out.. and you know I gave it away...
I know, if it had a trailer at the time I woulda bought it, I got a line on something right now that if it pans out you will chit yourself...man I hopoe it does...

The dude that bought yours claims he sold it for 28,000 last weeke when I emailed him and said he was nuts asking 25,000 for it... I would love to see that sale happen because it's not gonna... lol
Old 06-11-2012, 04:46 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by Budman II
Probably apples & oranges comparison, but I have a Force 235 that had the "intentional hook" built into the hull. It amounted to a set of "ramps" about 12" long and about 3/8" in height that were added to the back of the hull along the lifting strakes. I was certain I was losing speed from this, and like you I could never get this boat to carry the bow. I had the hooks sanded off, and the only change I noticed was an increased tendency for the boat to porpoise. Little if any increase in speed. Your mileage may vary, but it was a waste of time and money for me.

I still can't get the bow out of the water. Part of the problem may be all of the crap that I have up in the cuddy, but I think these boats just carry a lot of weight in the forward section of the hull. Look at how far forward the driver sits compared to a lot of other boats. This was done to increase cockpit space, and that is one of the things I like about these boats, but moving 200 - 400 lbs 2 feet further towards the bow further increases the amount of lifting force needed to get that bow out of the water.

I may try swapping to a prop with a bit more cup to try to get more bow lift, but I am probably chasing my tail.
I agree witht hat as far as cockpit space, that for sure don't help front weight, I will see what happens with things soon and I may just leave it alone..it does amazing in big Lake Erie water for what it is..
Old 06-12-2012, 10:29 AM
Registered

I would seriously think twice about changing anything that the engineers felt were necessary. Espeically as it pertains to hull shape. Those hooks may have been Baja's answer to some serious desing flaws. I'd leave well enough alone.
Old 06-12-2012, 04:08 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by Secret Formula
I would seriously think twice about changing anything that the engineers felt were necessary. Espeically as it pertains to hull shape. Those hooks may have been Baja's answer to some serious desing flaws. I'd leave well enough alone.
PROBLEM SOLVED, went shoppoing last night, no hook here!!

Old 06-13-2012, 02:26 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Full Force
PROBLEM SOLVED, went shoppoing last night, no hook here!!

Excellent choice. The mistress hull has a ton of
rocker, and if you've got some power, the hull will take it.
I won't post speeds here, but it is honestly the nicest running straight bottom I've been in. It just doesn't seem to have any bad habits.