525 fuel issues >

525 fuel issues

Notices

525 fuel issues

Old 06-02-2012, 07:22 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 525 fuel issues

I have a 525efi in an Eliminator. Ran fine last year with no issues. I performed the normal service in the fall and replaced the fuel water separator. It ran fine for 10 hours this season. Today my fuel pressure gauge has ADD - its all over the place. It will pull 40 psi at idle but when you put a load on it then the fuel pressure goes crazy.

Thoughts? Did I get bad gas? Fuel pump going out? I heard there is a secondary fuel filter but haven't confirmed.

Last edited by rsscoggins; 06-03-2012 at 10:49 AM.
Old 06-03-2012, 12:05 PM
Registered

So looking at the parts diagrams, there are a number of points of failure:
  • Mechanical fuel pump
  • Fuel water separator
  • Fuel pressure regulator
  • Electric fuel pump assembly

I am going to replace the Fuel water separator as that is a no brainer at a cost under $10

How do I check/test the other items? The mechanical pump and the regulator are $100 each but the electric pump is over $200. I dont want to just start swapping parts.

I suspect it is the regulator but don't know how to confirm that.
Old 06-03-2012, 05:55 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Wink

I believe HP525efi's have a fuel pressure sensor on the fuel rail under the plenum and it reads tot eh ECM whcih should be showing a code for low fuel pressure.
You can also hook a fuel pressure guage up to the schrader valve on the fuel rail under the plenum and test fuel pressure under load.
what is the fuel pressure underway at full throttle for example. Fuel pressure at idel is usually about 41-43 psi and should stay above 41 or so PSI under full load.
There are two fuel pumps, one is a mechanical lift pump on the top of the raw water pump and the other is a high pressure pump in the cool fuel unit under the front of the engine in front of the pan. The sefcondary fuel filter is at the left rear top of the engine where the fuel line from the coolfuel goes up to the injector fuel rail connection.
The is a fuel pressure regulator in the cool fuel unit also that can go bad.

Good Luck, hope you find your gremlin quickly.

Best Regards,
Ray @ Raylar
Old 06-03-2012, 10:57 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Raylar
I believe HP525efi's have a fuel pressure sensor on the fuel rail under the plenum and it reads tot eh ECM whcih should be showing a code for low fuel pressure.
You can also hook a fuel pressure guage up to the schrader valve on the fuel rail under the plenum and test fuel pressure under load.
what is the fuel pressure underway at full throttle for example. Fuel pressure at idel is usually about 41-43 psi and should stay above 41 or so PSI under full load.
There are two fuel pumps, one is a mechanical lift pump on the top of the raw water pump and the other is a high pressure pump in the cool fuel unit under the front of the engine in front of the pan. The sefcondary fuel filter is at the left rear top of the engine where the fuel line from the coolfuel goes up to the injector fuel rail connection.

Best Regards,
Ray @ Raylar
Thanks Ray!

I was on the boat today as I had to take it back to the marina from the mooring buoy at the house. It ran fine although I didn't run it hard for fear of damaging anything.

I pulled a couple of plugs and they look as normal and do not show a lean condition. I found the secondary fuel filter up close the back of the intake so I will be changing that as well.

I am going to put a gauge on the intake schrader valve and see what it tells me - I would hope that my in dash gauge is simply bad but the coughing and hesitation that I had yesterday does not give me much hope that it isn't something else.

I am also going to put gas in the other tank and see if the same behavior is exhibited.

Why oh why did they put that regulator and other pump under the motor - not exactly the easiest to get to in a cramped engine compartment.
Old 06-04-2012, 01:14 AM
Registered

Let me no what you figure out. My fuel pressures read quite different from one another :-/
Old 06-04-2012, 02:15 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Raylar

Best Regards,
Ray @ Raylar
http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/c...sure-gage.html
Old 06-04-2012, 11:42 AM
Registered

Not sure what this has to do with my issue as my gauge it an Autometer Pro Comp Marine mechanical fuel pressure gauge with a stainless hose running from the gauge to a port on the intake manifold but none the less I will be hooking a gauge up to the schrader valve on the intake manifold tomorrow evening to determine if my gauge is just bad or if I truly have an issue.

The question I have is does that stainless line carry fuel? I would assume it would but want to confirm before I break that seal if I need to remove or replace the gauge.

Last edited by rsscoggins; 06-04-2012 at 11:46 AM.
Old 06-04-2012, 01:02 PM
Registered

Received 29 Likes on 6 Posts

I just went through similar problems with my 575sci's, but only on one side

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/g...e-3000rpm.html

After replacing the fuel pump I still had the same problem. I pumped my tanks dry to start the year, turned out I was still getting water out of the tank. The water would max the seperator and when it made its way into the fuel system my gauge would lose accuracy and engine would run terrible. Change a separator and run good for a while, then gauge would jump and I would have issues again.

Water is gone now, problem solved.

Not saying this is your problem, but you might want to take a fuel sample and check.

Maybe someone smarter than me can explain why gas mixed with water reads higher on a pressure gauge than good clean gas?
Old 06-04-2012, 02:11 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by 4bus
I just went through similar problems with my 575sci's, but only on one side

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/g...e-3000rpm.html

After replacing the fuel pump I still had the same problem. I pumped my tanks dry to start the year, turned out I was still getting water out of the tank. The water would max the seperator and when it made its way into the fuel system my gauge would lose accuracy and engine would run terrible. Change a separator and run good for a while, then gauge would jump and I would have issues again.

Water is gone now, problem solved.

Not saying this is your problem, but you might want to take a fuel sample and check.

Maybe someone smarter than me can explain why gas mixed with water reads higher on a pressure gauge than good clean gas?
Worth a shot to check for water. I saw your gauge was electrical - was it bouncing or just reading low and/or high. Mine is mechanical and it bounces all over the place like it has ADD - prior to this weekend it was rock steady at one reading.

Last edited by rsscoggins; 06-04-2012 at 02:25 PM.
Old 06-04-2012, 06:13 PM
Registered

Received 29 Likes on 6 Posts

It was steady at idle, then bounced all over at rpm. Worth a shot I guess, something simple cost me a lot of time and money

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.