500 EFI Backfire and drops rpm in rough water >

500 EFI Backfire and drops rpm in rough water

Notices

500 EFI Backfire and drops rpm in rough water

Old 06-03-2012, 03:43 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 500 EFI Backfire and drops rpm in rough water

31 Soinc with hp500's efi only port motor does it sometimes in choppy conditions. Once you back it down and take off again seems fine??? I tried switching tanks still does it Tried New Coil old one only 1 year old was loose in bracket. Changed both fuel/ Water seperators fuel looked fine, Filled tanks with fresh fuel 2 times cant figure it out? Also checked cap rotor and wires all less then 2 years old and look fine.
Any help would be great

Thanks

Mike O
531 WHOZ YOUR DADDY OFFSHORE RACING
Old 06-03-2012, 03:53 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bad connection, loosing power to ignition happens in rough water due to vibration. Running in water or on hose push pull wiggle every wire and connection.
Old 06-03-2012, 03:55 PM
Registered

Default fixx

sounds like fuel pressure issue..check it with a fuel pressure gauge attached then go for a spin..also check the fuel pick up in the tank,,some tank mfr's used a alunimum pick up tube and it will crack where it threads into the 90* fitting in the tank then it will suck air,,it gets worse as the fuel level in the tank goes down..
Old 06-03-2012, 04:13 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by mrfixxall
sounds like fuel pressure issue..check it with a fuel pressure gauge attached then go for a spin..also check the fuel pick up in the tank,,some tank mfr's used a alunimum pick up tube and it will crack where it threads into the 90* fitting in the tank then it will suck air,,it gets worse as the fuel level in the tank goes down..

I tried switching tanks underway no change i like the idea of loose wire but where to start? I dont think it will do it at idle?
Old 06-03-2012, 04:16 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Mike,

Give me a buzz.... I had the same issue last year with my 500EFI in the P&M Fountain... to the tee of what your describing .... it was a combo of electrical and fuel 321-508-3077

Trent
Old 06-03-2012, 07:54 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by GoFastSonic
I tried switching tanks underway no change i like the idea of loose wire but where to start? I dont think it will do it at idle?

It might, I chased a problem very similar a few years ago, it was not the rough water it was the vibration and impact it caused. Running the boat on the hose started moving everything when I got to the number 7 injector plug moving it killed the engine. Not saying thats it but start there, could check fuel pressure but you say you switched tanks. How much does the tach drop when it cuts out?
Old 06-04-2012, 02:21 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Mine was doing the same thing except mine is a 502mpi. When running across the lake this weekend in rough water it would do that and I could not figure out what it was, then after awhile it did just finally die. Opened the hatch and noticed that when I would crank the engine over I could not hear the fuel pump running like ussual. WIggled the wiring around and finally moved the wiring harness where it plugs into the ecu and the pump came on and cranked up and ran perfect. secured the harness and ran flawlessly all weekend long. Oh and before I secured the harness I could have it running and reach back there and move it and the engine would die instantly. Hope this helps.
Old 06-04-2012, 02:26 PM
Registered

Talked to Trent yesterday for about half hour and he has same issue ended up being electric fuel pump on the cool fuel. Going to try that Thursday sOunds like it makes sense as when I come down off plane and then hit the throttles its ok again until the crap get up in the screen on ths filter again. I will also check all the injector wires thanks Tim. Mark from dockside also want s to check for lose ground wires.
Thanks to all for the help I will keep you posted
Old 06-19-2012, 02:19 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

How did it work out Mike? Was that the problem?
Old 06-19-2012, 05:37 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by F1-00 Racing
How did it work out Mike? Was that the problem?
Haven't been home to try it out lol

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.