Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
mid 30 footers in big waves >

mid 30 footers in big waves

Notices

mid 30 footers in big waves

Old 06-06-2012, 08:30 AM
Registered

Received 742 Likes on 400 Posts

Huge difference in a 33 PP running in that water and a 342 Baja. One was bred/built for it and the other, not so much. Not dissing the 342 but it was never intended to be an offshore wave crusher. A 33 Outlaw would do better IMO.
Old 06-06-2012, 08:32 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok I had a group on the boat so was not going to push it that hard. let alone alot fo stuff int he cabin. but will keep that in mind next time.

just seams the faster you go the more vilont the hit will be, but i also know the idea of the longer boat is to skip from the crest of each wave.
Old 06-06-2012, 10:44 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 179 Likes on 66 Posts

Each boat, each body of water and each day on the water are different. So anybody that tells you to just firewall it is smoking crack. You truly have to experiment (alone) with your boat in different sea conditions to see what it likes and what it doesn’t. As has already been mentioned, a PFD and a kill switch are mandatory for this kind of experimentation. Look at the bright side, this could take a lot of seat time!

The best way to learn is to start out slow with neutral or negative trim and level tabs. Then you need to play with trim and tab positions to learn what the boat does at various set points. Too much trim and you’ll sky the thing breaking all sorts of stuff – including you. Too much tab and you’ll stuff – which can be almost as bad. What you’re looking for is a balance between flying over the waves and plugging through them at a level attitude. And yes, more speed will change everything. Reggie Fountain once told a friend of mine that less throttle is rarely the answer – especially at the last minute. He also noted that too much throttle will kill you. See, no stock answer. Remember, wisdom comes from experience. Experience comes from messing up. Just gain your experience safely.
Old 06-06-2012, 11:26 AM
Gold Member

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Too Stroked
Each boat, each body of water and each day on the water are different. So anybody that tells you to just firewall it is smoking crack. You truly have to experiment (alone) with your boat in different sea conditions to see what it likes and what it doesn’t. As has already been mentioned, a PFD and a kill switch are mandatory for this kind of experimentation. Look at the bright side, this could take a lot of seat time!

The best way to learn is to start out slow with neutral or negative trim and level tabs. Then you need to play with trim and tab positions to learn what the boat does at various set points. Too much trim and you’ll sky the thing breaking all sorts of stuff – including you. Too much tab and you’ll stuff – which can be almost as bad. What you’re looking for is a balance between flying over the waves and plugging through them at a level attitude. And yes, more speed will change everything. Reggie Fountain once told a friend of mine that less throttle is rarely the answer – especially at the last minute. He also noted that too much throttle will kill you. See, no stock answer. Remember, wisdom comes from experience. Experience comes from messing up. Just gain your experience safely.
That's a great answer cause there really is no one true answer I think most of us that boat on rough water spend most of our lives trying to find the upper limitations of our equipment and our nerves at the end of the day that's what it's all about right
Old 06-06-2012, 01:47 PM
Registered

knot 4 me.-0- the 33 OL and a 342 is the same hull. so its not going to do any different...

BUT I toally understand more playing with it. I did get some great seat time on the way to Pensacola, in 2-3 footers, and a little more speed with a little bit of tab made the boat sit alot better then 40mph with the nose up likei normally run on the river.

but when you have roug 5-6 footers, and 4-5 normals its pretty big **** to be ****ing around in. the boat felt fine, but the cabin was the part i was afraid i was going to break.
Old 06-06-2012, 01:48 PM
Registered

test
Old 06-06-2012, 02:11 PM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Too Stroked

Well said. I will add there are many types of waves as well. I have been in 4-6' rollers in a 19' boat(similar to a Donzi Classic) where the waves were spaced out with plenty of room in between and we were flying over them at 55-60mph. On the other hand I have been in some 2-3 Lake Michigan chop that had no rhythm or spacing that beat the snot out of me and higher speeds just weren't possible.
Old 06-06-2012, 03:50 PM
Registered

Try to find an expereince offshore boater to go out with and watch them! When I first went out in big water in my Cig I had a World/National champ giving me pointers. And as the others have said you got to get on top of it and you need to prepair your boat for it. Some boats are much better than others!
Old 06-06-2012, 04:03 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 866 Likes on 325 Posts

You need to get up into the 60's and trim it out a little. Honestly, with the fridge, genny, TV & gear - they are a little too heavy. Once you take all the stuff out and lighten it up a little they dont go thru the waves as much as over the waves.

That being said, I love Baja but the construction isnt great for wave beating & too much ****e rattles around! The damn cuddy door in my boat ripped the door lock tab out of the fiberglass 3 times! I dont know if you noticed it but under hard beating they flex - ALOT!
Old 06-06-2012, 04:11 PM
Registered

well i was not BEATING on it, just tryign to play around some to see how it did comparied to the 25 footer. and get some pics as well.

its a once a year thing to go out and play around in the gluf sometime you get a good day, and sometime you get ruff. this was RUFF for sure. when you come off plane we where loosing sight of land in the waves. haha. and there was no real rythm to them.

The boat will see 99% river time, and a few beach trips, and hopefully one bahamas run.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.