starboard K-plane not working >

starboard K-plane not working

Notices

starboard K-plane not working

Old 06-13-2012, 04:55 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default starboard K-plane not working

Went out this past weekend and noticed the starboard k-plane would not work. Opened hatch and hit the switch.....nothing. pump doesn't even come on. I could spend all day looking around, but can anyone help give some pointers to troubleshoot the system?
Old 06-13-2012, 07:36 PM
Registered

Received 19 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by rumrunner29
Went out this past weekend and noticed the starboard k-plane would not work. Opened hatch and hit the switch.....nothing. pump doesn't even come on. I could spend all day looking around, but can anyone help give some pointers to troubleshoot the system?
I had an issue just as you described. There is an inline fuse in a yellow rubber jacket by the trim pump that I opened up and cleaned up the fuse and it went back to work and no problems since. Maybe a slight amount of corrosion that interupted the connection. Hopefully it is that easy. Good luck!
Old 06-13-2012, 09:03 PM
Registered

Wish it could have been that easy, tried that earlier and still nothing
Old 06-13-2012, 10:30 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

Any clicking or anything? There are two solenoids, one for up, one for down. They do go out, but usually not at the same time.

Also, check the back of your switches. Sounds like you may have an open, broken wire, disconnected, corrosion, etc. You may have to ohm out the wires.
Old 06-13-2012, 10:44 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

mine are on circuit breakers under the rear bench seat(formula) dont knoe if you have a similar set up..
Old 06-13-2012, 11:03 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Sydwayz
Any clicking or anything? There are two solenoids, one for up, one for down. They do go out, but usually not at the same time.

Also, check the back of your switches. Sounds like you may have an open, broken wire, disconnected, corrosion, etc. You may have to ohm out the wires.
Nope, no click or anything..I'm gonna pull the switch plate up in the morning and go from there. Not sure where the problem is, it doesn't work from either the starboard switch or the BOTH switch. Port tab works fine.

Last edited by rumrunner29; 06-13-2012 at 11:22 PM.
Old 06-13-2012, 11:21 PM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

Check the ground wire and if its good put 12 volts to the larger blue or green wire. If it doesn't work its your motor. If it does check the voltage at the other side of the selenoid(red wires) and work your way to the dash. I had a k-plane quit and it was a dead spot on the armature. I had a good ol boy that rebuilt starters fix it for like 30 bucks.
Old 06-14-2012, 09:02 AM
Registered

Smack the motor with a piece of wood. (Tap test) Mine did the same thing 5 years ago and arcticfriends hit it and it has worked fine ever since. True story.
Old 06-14-2012, 06:47 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

jumping the 2 solenoids is another back yard smoke test if neither work, most likely culprit is lost 12v or lost ground...
Old 06-14-2012, 07:21 PM
Registered

Thanks for everyones help, I ran a jumper wire back to the pump and it worked, checked the switches and they were all fine. Didn't have 12 volts at the pump, so I traced the wires and found that the 12 volt power wire runs from the batt switch to the drive trim pump and then runs from there to the k-plane pump. Well, where the line comes off the drive pump there is a fuse holder WAY down by the starter and this fuse was blown. Changed the fuse..BINGO! works fine now..
Thanks again for the help