20 Hour Service >

20 Hour Service

Notices

20 Hour Service

Old 07-02-2002, 09:45 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 20 Hour Service

I have a 496 HO with a Bravo one outdrive and was wondering what is involved in the first 20 hour service?
Thanks
Old 07-02-2002, 09:51 AM
99Hammer

That depends on where you take it. I know over here in TN, different marinas offer different service packages. Your owners manual should give you the basics for the 20 hr service. Call around and check prices vs. services provided. The 496's are supposed to be real user friendly for servicing. In the long run you might want to do the services yourself (alot cheaper).

Old 07-02-2002, 10:56 AM
Registered

Is the 20 hour service oil, gear lube & filter change or is there more to it then that? If so can someone please explain.
Old 07-02-2002, 01:19 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Welcome to the board!

I've got the same engine as you and you should be able to find somewhere in the middle of the book a handy little chart which outlines all the routine services and maintenance on an hourly or seasonal basis. It's a nice reference.

But on top of the items you mentioned, There's not much more. I believe they also apply grease to all the zirk fittings for the coupler, splines, check torque of prop, etc. It's mostly simple things. In addition, it's a good idea to get the engine/drive alignment checked out. In a good many instances, the motor tends to settle a little, so it's important to check alignment. If it's out, it's a surefire way to fry the coupler.

Old 07-02-2002, 04:57 PM
Registered

Thanks for the help.
I went to Teague today at lunch and they said that if a non-authorized person does 20 and 100 hour service and there is a problem it would most likely void the warranty. Anyways I scheduled a service with them.
Old 07-02-2002, 06:19 PM
Kentz

Double check your manual. Most new 496's do not require anything at 20 hrs. First dealer return trip is 100 hrs. Not saying I agree, but don't pay for something you don't need.

Old 07-03-2002, 09:41 AM
Registered

Kent,
Thanks I will double-check the manual, but when I was talking with Mercruiser they led me to believe that I did require a 20-hour service. Besides that I want to get some redline in the drive. I am also going to have them install a new remote oil filter set-up. The oil filter upside down on the exhaust manifold is pretty stupid if to ask me.