Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
First Time Boat Owner..just add $$ Right?  Impeller disintegrated... >

First Time Boat Owner..just add $$ Right? Impeller disintegrated...

Notices

First Time Boat Owner..just add $$ Right? Impeller disintegrated...

Old 06-20-2012, 06:54 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the tips fellas. I was merely being impatient/too cautious. At least I don't have to replace another impeller. I don't have an interior at the Moment, so all I have is a stereo to install while I await the upholstery. I am going to remove the old green carpet next. (Thats another thread tho..) So any suggestions for Maiden Voyage Music Soundtrack? I'm turning 40 in August and would prefer some 80's Hair Band Music or ACDC... but my significant other just turned 29 and has a totally different taste in music. The Boat is gonna be a total surprise to her and the kids but I'm not into Katy Perry or Black Eyed Peas..LOL. 2 Ten In Subs and 8 6 in and a 2000 Rockford Fosgate amp. RocknRoll is Good... Loud Rock-nRoll is Better---
Old 06-20-2012, 07:35 AM
Registered

Its a tough place to be in... My prediction is that youll have days your way (with your buds), and, have days where you have to put up with the pop music "family".

Either way its a good time!
Old 06-20-2012, 07:55 AM
Registered

Received 80 Likes on 56 Posts

I've also had some problem with overheating recently. I did backflush hoses and coolers, but it didn't completely solve the problem. Last night, I removed the p/s cooler from the boat to look at it under some good lighting in the shop. I was surprised to find that half of the cooling capillaries were completely clogged from one end to the other with small rocks, clay, sand, and other misc river trash. In my case, backflushing would not resolve the issue - this stuff has hardened to almost like concrete. I spent about an hour and a half poking and prodding these capillaries with coat hanger wire and a small pick. Many of the small stones were lodged so tightly that I had to use a long set of needle nose pliers - again, flushing with a hose would not help (in my situation).

If you haven't already, might want to look through your first cooler with a flashlight.

Terry

Originally Posted by stickman811
I replaced the Housing and impeller both, and backflushed.
Old 06-20-2012, 12:29 PM
Registered

Have a second person watch the water spray out of the mufs before you start it and when it starts the water should instantly stop spraying out around the muffs as it is being sucked into the motor then you can wait a bit for it to go thru the system.If the spray past the muffs doen't stop on startup you are not picking up water.
Old 06-20-2012, 12:33 PM
Registered

I don't like hip hop but I found when you thump it all the girls go jiggle jiggle,end up playing it ALOT!!
Old 06-20-2012, 01:15 PM
Registered

Received 749 Likes on 402 Posts

Originally Posted by easyrider1340
I've also had some problem with overheating recently. I did backflush hoses and coolers, but it didn't completely solve the problem. Last night, I removed the p/s cooler from the boat to look at it under some good lighting in the shop. I was surprised to find that half of the cooling capillaries were completely clogged from one end to the other with small rocks, clay, sand, and other misc river trash. In my case, backflushing would not resolve the issue - this stuff has hardened to almost like concrete. I spent about an hour and a half poking and prodding these capillaries with coat hanger wire and a small pick. Many of the small stones were lodged so tightly that I had to use a long set of needle nose pliers - again, flushing with a hose would not help (in my situation).

If you haven't already, might want to look through your first cooler with a flashlight.

Terry
Boil them in water when they get plugged like that to loosen the hardened clay and sand.
Old 06-20-2012, 02:51 PM
Registered

Received 80 Likes on 56 Posts

That's a good idea - will try that tonight if my plan A didn't work.

Originally Posted by Knot 4 Me
Boil them in water when they get plugged like that to loosen the hardened clay and sand.
Old 06-20-2012, 03:41 PM
Registered

A few years ago my wife didn't shut the motor off when pulling upto the beach and plugged all the hoses upto and including the oil cooler like easyrider1340. It blew the back off the sea water pump. I wish I knew about boiling it, but what I did was pull it out, and just keep tapping the end on top of a soft block of wood, so as not to damage the cooler. It took about and hour to get all of the sand & rocks to break loose and fall out but it worked. Not a very scientific way to solve the problem but it worked. I thought I needed to buy a new one because that stuff was like cement in the holes.