Marine Aire Won't Prime >

Marine Aire Won't Prime

Notices

Marine Aire Won't Prime

Old 06-20-2012, 04:44 PM
Registered

Received 42 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Marine Aire Won't Prime

I have a factory installed Marine Aire in my Fountain with the March P500 pump. It worked fine last year, but this year when I went to use it the pump would run but not circulate water. Today I confirmed that all passages are clear, strainer is good, etc. I can take a garden hose and water passes freely through the AC unit and backwards and forwards through the pickup and sea strainer, so no obstructions. I placed the pump hose in a bucket of water and it will not pickup or prime... however I can take the garden hose, force water through the pump, then quickly submerge it and it will pump fine. Any ideas?
Old 06-20-2012, 07:40 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

is your o-ring blown out?
Old 06-20-2012, 07:54 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

The weight of the boat sitting in the water, and forcing water up to the pump once you open the seacock, SHOULD allow it to prime. The pump probably does not provide enough suction to bring it up from a garden hose in a bucket.
Old 06-20-2012, 08:07 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

that pump should be mounted below the waterlne since it has no suction capabilities
Old 06-20-2012, 08:21 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by weldcrane
that pump should be mounted below the waterlne since it has no suction capabilities

Exactly! It will not pull water up to prime itself. Gotta be below water line. Even if mounted below water and you have a high spot before the pump, you gotta bleed off that air pocket for the pump to pump. The hoses should always go upwards from the seacock, shut off valve, strainer, and into the pump.
Old 06-21-2012, 07:45 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

pull the discharge hose off the pump, open seacock, water should flow out...if it does not check for blockage or pump not low enough, also when we install mermaids, we put in a PVC bleed valve to bleed the air out, most boats when pulled out of water and put back in will air lock...some will after running...
Old 06-21-2012, 07:50 AM
Registered

One other thing you can do is take out the screws holding the front cover off. remove the front cover and impeller, make sure the magnet and cavity is clean. doesn't take much to bugger the impeller drive magnet