Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Bravo one to XR advice needed >

Bravo one to XR advice needed

Notices

Bravo one to XR advice needed

Old 06-20-2012, 11:18 PM
Registered

Received 40 Likes on 16 Posts

From what I understand, it depends on if you are just a dealer or a manufacturer. The manu. get the stuff a lot cheaper from what I gather. I know I pay more than 1100 a set. It seems lately that everytime I get a set they go up.

And I have always changed the gimble bearing when going to an XR. There is a specific, narrowed bearing for the XR. I had always heard that it's a must, but I never tried to install it without changing the bearing. I believe there is also a smaller retainer ring that holds the U-joint boot in place. I think it's because of the larger diameter U-joints possibly getting into the larger retainer.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong on any of this.

Eddie
Old 06-20-2012, 11:23 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Young Performance
From what I understand, it depends on if you are just a dealer or a manufacturer. The manu. get the stuff a lot cheaper from what I gather. I know I pay more than 1100 a set. It seems lately that everytime I get a set they go up.

And I have always changed the gimble bearing when going to an XR. There is a specific, narrowed bearing for the XR. I had always heard that it's a must, but I never tried to install it without changing the bearing. I believe there is also a smaller retainer ring that holds the U-joint boot in place. I think it's because of the larger diameter U-joints possibly getting into the larger retainer.

Eddie
I must be the luckiest guy alive because I never changed anything.. in all the hours..

BTW, Eddie I did not mean to sound rude here..

Last edited by SDFever; 06-21-2012 at 12:14 AM. Reason: sorry
Old 06-20-2012, 11:25 PM
Registered

I'll wait for that order (10 sets).
Old 06-20-2012, 11:32 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Young Performance

Eddie
As of about 4 years ago everything is the same. The old bearing superceeds to the one that you guys are calling XR now. All the U-joints are the same size now.

If you hold them (bearings) right next to each other there is hardly any noticeable difference but the price used to be huge. The input hole is identical. The back side of the sleeve was just barely deeper. They did away with this change.

This is not only for the bearing but the input shaft as well.

Last edited by SDFever; 06-20-2012 at 11:38 PM.
Old 06-20-2012, 11:42 PM
Registered

Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by SDFever
I'll wait for that order (10 sets).
it,s obvious that you dont have a dealer selling these gearsets to you for 1100.bucks,and yes,if you are running xr drive with std gimble bearing,you are luckey.and yes,i will take 10 sets at 1100.per set,il make 3 grand resealing them,and they would be gone in a week,but you will not name a dealer selling them for 1100.per set because there is no dealer selling them for that.that being said,unless you are naming the dealer with the deal,dont bother blowing anymore smoke!
Old 06-20-2012, 11:50 PM
Registered

Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts

to the op,if you put new xr drives on your 2000 boat,you do need to change to the narrow gimble bearing,but why woulden,t anyone making this upgrade not replace the bearing at the time of the upgrade,at about 100 bucks each to replace a 12 year old bearing ,its a no brainer.
Old 06-20-2012, 11:56 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by mike tkach
it,s obvious that you dont have a dealer selling these gearsets to you for 1100.bucks,and yes,if you are running xr drive with std gimble bearing,you are luckey.and yes,i will take 10 sets at 1100.per set,il make 3 grand resealing them,and they would be gone in a week,but you will not name a dealer selling them for 1100.per set because there is no dealer selling them for that.that being said,unless you are naming the dealer with the deal,dont bother blowing anymore smoke!
Look,

I'm not a liar. If you wanna call bs then try me but don't make the claim that I'm blowing smoke. You have no idea. I NEVER made the claim that I was buying them from a dealer that YOU can call. I said I can get them for you. If you don't believe me I don't really give a rats azz. I have nothing to prove to you personally.

You ever heard of "friends in the business"? Just because you can't buy something at a mark does not mean that it can't be done! Now call my bluff and buy 10 of them.

Last edited by SDFever; 06-21-2012 at 12:00 AM.
Old 06-20-2012, 11:58 PM
Registered

to the op,if you put new xr drives on your 2000 boat,you do need to change to the narrow gimble bearing,but why woulden,t anyone making this upgrade not replace the bearing at the time of the upgrade,at about 100 bucks each to replace a 12 year old bearing ,its a no brainer.
Because as I said earlier, the old superceeds to what you are calling XR.

If you read that than you should understand. They don't list the old part number anymore but what do I know????

geezus guy what is your end game here?
Old 06-21-2012, 12:04 AM
Registered

The fact that you are counting on me having a 12 year old bearing is funny. As I said, they did away with the narrow one. They all superceed now.
Old 06-21-2012, 12:15 AM
Registered

Red face

Originally Posted by J.B. Marshall
So I'm considering changing over to XR drives from the orignal Bravo one's on my 2000 382 Fastech. Can anyone provide me with pro's /con's and what else I need to consider if I do the change over.

Thanks JB
JB,

Sorry for the

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.