Fuel pump wont go on with key, have to flip on courtesy lights >

Fuel pump wont go on with key, have to flip on courtesy lights

Notices

Fuel pump wont go on with key, have to flip on courtesy lights

Old 06-25-2012, 11:36 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel pump wont go on with key, have to flip on courtesy lights

So i took all the gauge panels off my formula to paint them, to make the dash look more modern instead of plain white. i took pics of all the gauges and switches since there are so many wires. I put it all back together correctly, so i thought. I turn on the key to try to fire it, nothing...it cranks but no fuel. so i turn key to off, then to on, and realize im not getting the warning beep and cannot hear the fuel pump kick on. eventually i was checking all the rocker switches (blower, bilge, etc...) and i hit courtesy lights and the fuel pump kicks on, and i can now start the boat. What in the world did i do here?
If i turn the key off, the motor will still run. The fuel gauge reads correctly with the key "on" but once i flip the courtesy light button to put the fuel pump on, the needle on the fuel gauge flips all the way to left, past "E" and think i have no fuel, but obviously motor still runs. I thought (initially) i had messed up the button for the kill lanyard when i was removing the panel, there is a green wire under the module that was cut. It doesnt appear to make a difference if that wire is connected or not, but it will still kill the motor if you unclip the lanyard. any help is appreciated.

BTW i took pics with my phone, couldnt see them real well when i was hooking the switches back up. I emailed them to myself and made a diagram, i had 2 wires incorrect on 2 switches and fixed them, didnt make a difference however.
Old 06-25-2012, 01:26 PM
Registered

If it was like my Baja the instrument cluster is used like a big terminal block for ignition and ground wires. Purple is ignition power. Wires were run everywhere. Easy to have one fall behind the dash when disconnected. I'm guessing that the wire to the ignition switch did not get connected back but the start wire did. Good Luck.

Dan
Old 06-26-2012, 12:35 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

The fuel gauge sounds like a bad or missing ground backfeeding. Possibly the same with the switch? just a thought. Randy
Old 06-26-2012, 08:05 AM
Registered

thanks guys! im gonna head up to the boat tomorrow and trace all the like-color wires and see what i can find out...