Way too slow (formula 41) >

Way too slow (formula 41)

Notices

Way too slow (formula 41)

Old 06-28-2012, 03:01 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Way too slow (formula 41)

My folks have been boat shopping for a new cruiser and asked me to come look at one they had picked out at our local marina. Last winter, we had a brutal blizzard and the roofs of many of the marinas caved in and sank boats because of the weight of the wet snow we got.

The boat they are looking at was damaged in the roof collapse and has been cosmetically repaired. It got a new arch, new windshield, new deck hatches and a couple of other minor things.

The boat is a 01 Formula 41 PC. It's a cruiser but maybe you guys can give me some idea of why its not performing like it should.

It has the 8.1 merc mpi's with v-drives. The peformance data I have found says it should run mid 30's. Best I could get it to run was 17 average with the highest being 18 in a 2 hour test drive.

I had them pull the boat out at our expense because I assumed it had prop damage or a mass of algae growth, but the bottom was fairly clean and zero damage to the props.

both motors will rev to redline in neutral, but will barely brush 4000 rpm when in gear. Both tabs are up and you still have to struggle to see over the bow because it feels as if its riding nose high.

I've seen the pictures of the snow collapse and the boat never went under water so I don't think they are connected.

Is there something else I am missing? How come its only getting half the speed it should?
Old 06-28-2012, 03:47 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sounds like you may need a prop change or the bottom growth is really affecting you. I'd hit a formula pc forum to see what props others are running or call a dealer and compare that to what you are running. It doesn't take much algae growth to chop a ton of speed off is the other issue. have them clean the hull and see what happens
Old 06-28-2012, 05:02 PM
Registered

It is at a formula dealership now. They say it's from the algae but it's really pretty clean. And the props are the correct factory props. They are pressure washing it now and going to sea trial again this evening.
Old 06-28-2012, 06:09 PM
Registered

Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

Did it sink during the damage? Is there 10,000 lbs of water soaked into rugs,upholstery etc?
Old 06-28-2012, 08:09 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Have them scan the engines with a scan tool when running at speed and make sure they show 100% power reading when underway. 4000 rpms would defintily be lugging the engines and not a good thing, I think they should be able to pull 4500-4600 rpmsat WOT.
Also check the throttle bodies them selves (linkage) and make sure the throttles are opening 100% at the engine when pushed to full throttle at the helm.
The cables and such may have been removed, damaged or re-installed without adjustment and you might not be getting full throttle. Just a couple of simple ideas.

Best Regards,
Ray @ Raylar
Old 06-28-2012, 10:31 PM
Registered

No it didn't sink and everything is dry. It'd be tough to hide 1200 gallons of water in the upholstery! Lol!

I'm going to suggest the mechanic come along and run the scan tool. I know the throttles were removed because the windshield railing bent in and folded over the shifters when the snow collapsed on it. It may not be adjusted correctly. Never even thought oif that. Thanks!
Old 06-29-2012, 08:59 AM
Registered

Could last years ethanol enhanced fuel cause that problem?
Old 06-29-2012, 09:52 AM
Registered

Don't buy it! JUNK! Move on! You will be buying someone elses problems. These boats cost enough to maintain without having problems at 1st.
Old 06-29-2012, 10:58 AM
Registered

Any boat will have problems.. Its not "junk" just because its having a possibly minor throttle cable adjustment issue.. It could very well be something basic, just like mentioned before.
Old 06-29-2012, 11:06 AM
Registered

I should not have used the word " JUNK". I would be careful. It has been damaged. I hope you are getting an extremely good deal if you buy it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.