Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
496HO wiring harness rubbing on computer bracket. >

496HO wiring harness rubbing on computer bracket.

Notices

496HO wiring harness rubbing on computer bracket.

Old 07-04-2012, 07:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 496HO wiring harness rubbing on computer bracket.

I’ve been having an ongoing problem with the port motor shutting off while under way.

First time it shut off the Fuel pump replay needed to be replaced. The second time blew a fuse for the fuel pump.
Both times it happen I was crossing big wake and the boat hit hard and both times required a long limp back to the marina.

So after farting around and having the Mechanic look at it and finding nothing….. I ran the motor on the hose and started pulling on each and every part of the wiring harness. After pulling on the main part of the harness that runs under the computer bracket I blew a fuse again. At this point I closely looked and found a bare wire that was rubbing on the sharp edge of the computer bracket. This is the part of the harness that runs from the top of the computer toward the back of the motor and make a 180 degree turn back towards the front and under the computer bracket.

The fix was simple, some liquid electrical tape, re-tape that section of the harness. I also picked on a 6” length of hose spilt the hose open and secured it to the edge of the bracket to protect from future ware.

I checked the starboard motor and it too is showing sign of rubbing.

All you 496 owners should inspect this part of the harness for signs of wear!
Old 07-05-2012, 10:53 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks. Will keep an eye on it.