Mercury 6.2 MX hard to start >

Mercury 6.2 MX hard to start

Notices

Mercury 6.2 MX hard to start

Old 07-23-2012, 09:01 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by halffast
What is the fuel psi on the rail while cranking ? It has a test port. hf...
45 lbs when key is switched to on and when pump shuts off it bleeds down faster than it should.
Old 07-24-2012, 07:51 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by baja24outlaw
45 lbs when key is switched to on and when pump shuts off it bleeds down faster than it should.
45 psi when the key is turned on and it is priming, then it shuts off and pressure holds, but bleeds down ever so slightly. When you are cranking the motor over, it holds right at 45 also.

I removed the spark plugs today, all were original, but some black with carbon. # 3 was totally black, I am figuring this would be where my bad injector is. Let me know your thoughts. Thanks again.
Old 07-25-2012, 01:30 PM
Registered

Angry 6.2 won't start

Well everything has been checked and changed, still to no avail. IAC replaced, TPI replaced, Fuel Pres Reg on fuel rail replaced, brand new spark plugs replaced, and this SOB still won't crank. spins and has an occasional sputter and you can hear deep stumbling coming from inside the throat of the throttle body. Wires are on correctly, I am done with it.
Old 07-25-2012, 01:41 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This may be a bit of a long shot but I have been to hell and back with my 6.2 with under 60 hours on it. Pull the distributor cap and have a look at the inside top for both corrosion and tiny hair line cracks.
Old 07-25-2012, 02:25 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by boatnuts
This may be a bit of a long shot but I have been to hell and back with my 6.2 with under 60 hours on it. Pull the distributor cap and have a look at the inside top for both corrosion and tiny hair line cracks.
Thanks I will do just that, I mean this is beating me down pretty good and I have been doing this a long time but my computer equipment is limited and I must rely on old school diagnosis. in this higher tech world, that's a thing of the past with these troublesome engines. This is why I have a 99 Merc HP 500 carb engine in my own boat.
Old 07-25-2012, 02:57 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

These engines are becoming commonplace, so I suggest to you getting the basic Rinda scanner [ ca$ 4-500 ] at least. The 6.2's ECM555 monitoring 64 functions. If you hooked the engine up to the Rinda scanner, it would give you valuable information. Also, once you got the engine running ,check the injectors one by one with a Noid light [ available at every automotive store] to see if you have constant pulse flashing.
Old 07-25-2012, 04:10 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by spectras only
These engines are becoming commonplace, so I suggest to you getting the basic Rinda scanner [ ca$ 4-500 ] at least. The 6.2's ECM555 monitoring 64 functions. If you hooked the engine up to the Rinda scanner, it would give you valuable information. Also, once you got the engine running ,check the injectors one by one with a Noid light [ available at every automotive store] to see if you have constant pulse flashing.
Thanks for everything, I am having the customer take it where they have this equipment, this has only cost us money and time we cannot charge for.
Old 07-25-2012, 04:32 PM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

Bad grounds check for that also check the connections to the IAC and to the ECT for any corrosion / bad connections. Also U might need a new ECT = engine coolant sensor. Have this motor scanned.

Also have them check for intermittent opens or shorts to ground in the MAP sensor circuit. next have them check for proper operation of the TPS = Throttle position sensor.

Anytime a marine shop gets a boat in for repairs the first thing the tech does is get the motor serial #. Mercruiser had two totally different 6.2's engines made. One started in the late 90's and the other started in early 2000's. Again two totally different set ups - one with MEFI 3 (late 90's thru ) the other was with PCM 555 computer controled (early 2000's) Just one example of how they were.

Post ur serial #. Good luck with it.

Last edited by BUP; 07-25-2012 at 04:43 PM.
Old 07-25-2012, 05:26 PM
Registered

Received 29 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by boatnuts
Had similar issues with mine (a few other things though) and it was the cap/rotor.
Old 07-25-2012, 07:03 PM
Registered

Received 19 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by baja24outlaw
Thanks for everything, I am having the customer take it where they have this equipment, this has only cost us money and time we cannot charge for.
Sorry to hear you didn't have any luck. Please post what it was if you find out.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.