Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Ok, so how many of you guys are running automotive carbs, be truthful. >

Ok, so how many of you guys are running automotive carbs, be truthful.

Notices

Ok, so how many of you guys are running automotive carbs, be truthful.

Old 07-13-2012, 11:12 PM
Registered

Received 86 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Ok, so how many of you guys are running automotive carbs, be truthful.

The engines that I bought complete for the boat like 5 yrs ago had automotive carbs when I bought them, have been running them ever since, no problems. But the starboard engine has developed a lean stutter once in awhile when getting on plane and instead of trying to fix it I want to just buy two brand new carbs. The prices of the auto carbs are impossible to ignore compared to the marine versions.....what are you guys doing? the carbs are 750 double pumpers (probably the most "on sale" carb of all time)
Attached Thumbnails Ok, so how many of you guys are running automotive carbs, be truthful.-dsc01248.jpg  
Old 07-13-2012, 11:47 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by pullmytrigger
The engines that I bought complete for the boat like 5 yrs ago had automotive carbs when I bought them, have been running them ever since, no problems. But the starboard engine has developed a lean stutter once in awhile when getting on plane and instead of trying to fix it I want to just buy two brand new carbs. The prices of the auto carbs are impossible to ignore compared to the marine versions.....what are you guys doing? the carbs are 750 double pumpers (probably the most "on sale" carb of all time)
I've done it and never had an issue.
Old 07-14-2012, 01:25 AM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,811 Likes on 901 Posts

I have always used marine carbs. At a minimum, you should at least use J tubes.
Old 07-14-2012, 07:13 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If the boat burned to the water line, and your insurance company learned that you had automotive carbs on your boat..would you expect them to cover the damage? I think you should be using marine carbs for safety and insurance in case you have a problem...I hope you never do, but if you have a problem...you've acknowledged the fact that you know the carbs on your boat are meant for car not boat...they have a way out of insuring your loss, and you would be in a bad spot if you tried to sue insurance company for coverage if it went to trial.
Old 07-14-2012, 08:03 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Aside from Insurance Issues, aren't Marine Carbs designed for the odd angles that boats ride at when turning and Planing? I use an Old Rebult Marine Quadrajunk on my Old 4x4 because where I go deer hunting, there are No Roads. No People, and No Speed Shops to pick up a rebuild kit in case of emergency..LOL
Old 07-14-2012, 09:26 AM
Registered

Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts

what is different other than the j tubes?
Old 07-14-2012, 09:33 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Griff
I have always used marine carbs. At a minimum, you should at least use J tubes.
can you buy them and retrofit?
Old 07-14-2012, 09:46 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by mike tkach
what is different other than the j tubes?
from everything Ive ever seen/read is they have j tubes and a coast guard stamp and thats it....

as far as the odd angle thing goes.....the auto carbs I have have performed flawlessly (up until now) in whatever I can throw at them in the last 5 yrs. I dont know if youve ever seen a 29F come up on plane but they go to almost 45 deg before going over the top and theres been several spine shattering runs on Lake Ontario and Lake Huron no problems.
Old 07-14-2012, 10:51 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

All being said; your insurance company, Coast Guard, are going to be the reasons for a J tube, marine certified carb. If it burns to the waterline it could be an issue.
Old 07-14-2012, 11:43 AM
Registered

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by pullmytrigger
from everything Ive ever seen/read is they have j tubes and a coast guard stamp and thats it....

as far as the odd angle thing goes.....the auto carbs I have have performed flawlessly (up until now) in whatever I can throw at them in the last 5 yrs. I dont know if youve ever seen a 29F come up on plane but they go to almost 45 deg before going over the top and theres been several spine shattering runs on Lake Ontario and Lake Huron no problems.
From what I have read they also have different throttle shafts to keep the fuel inside the engine and not on the intake manifold if they flood over.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.