496 HO Sea Water Temp sensor location >

496 HO Sea Water Temp sensor location

Notices

496 HO Sea Water Temp sensor location

Old 07-16-2012, 08:03 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 496 HO Sea Water Temp sensor location

I am trying to help out a buddy that has a 2001 496HO. He has been having some issues , as it seems to be going in to gaurdian mode at times. I connected the scan tool and the only thing I could find is that it says the lake/sea water temp is 431 degrees. I found the water pressure on the sea pump, coolant temp sensor under the heat exchanger, but where the heck is the sea water temp sensor?
Old 07-16-2012, 01:30 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think there is one on each exhaust manifold, right under the bypass hoses... I know there is one plastic sensor on each manifold, wether or not this is the sensor you looking for.......
Old 07-16-2012, 02:07 PM
Registered

You are correct, there are the ones on the manifolds, but they show up under a different sensor in the scan tool, port & starboard sides, but the ECU is still showing 431 degrees. I read some thread that said the early models had a sensor on the PS cooler. I looked and didn't see any on there, but there is a lot of parts, hoses and wires back there, so if it's there I might have missed it. Hopefully someone on here knows the exact location so I'm not spending wasted time locating it.
Old 07-16-2012, 10:02 PM
Registered

Bumping this, someone has to know where this is located at! A quick thought, does the pressure sensor double as the temp sensor also? There are 3 wires going to it.
Old 07-17-2012, 04:58 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 28Eliminator
but where the heck is the sea water temp sensor?
I could be wrong but it probably doesn't have one. I believe this is an auxillary function that doesn't result in a guardian mode. My 496 doesn't have one.
Old 07-17-2012, 10:44 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by NightHawk
I could be wrong but it probably doesn't have one. I believe this is an auxillary function that doesn't result in a guardian mode. My 496 doesn't have one.
+1
I was told that that was the default setting when it's not used
your best bet would be to call ray from raylar
Old 07-17-2012, 10:48 AM
Registered

All 496's have one sensor on each manifold. It's threaded into the surface just around the area where the riser mounts. The early ones were plastic and blend in with the manifold.. It has a 9/16 hex head.

The best replacements for them is the newer brass style because the old ones would break or fracture and sometimes you can't see that it is broken unless you remove it.

New part number is: 885342002 and they retail for around $26 each. Don't use the plastic ones even if they are available. It's a critical part to be made of plastic because it can put you in guardian sometimes when it's actually not hot..
Old 07-17-2012, 10:53 AM
Registered

They're mounted in the exhaust to help prevent operators from burning and melting the rubber exhaust hoses etc. Once it gets too hot it will sound alarm.

Also, on closed cooled engine, if there is a water flow restriction the exhaust will almost always get hotter and quicker than everywhere else so the idea was to put the sensor where it could catch rising temps asap..

Last edited by SDFever; 07-17-2012 at 10:56 AM.
Old 07-17-2012, 11:47 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I believe the sensors on the exhaust manifold do not throw a lake /seawater temp alarm but port and starboard manifold temp alarm. As said before it's a different code.
Old 07-17-2012, 11:58 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by NightHawk
I believe the sensors on the exhaust manifold do not throw a lake /seawater temp alarm but port and starboard manifold temp alarm. As said before it's a different code.
Yup my bad... I never heard of anyone using that option. I actually forgot about it because it's a rarely used SmartCraft option that seemingly very few people pay to have.

When I think of seawater temp I think of raw water cooling. There is a separate transducer for that data link.

Kick me

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.