Excessive distributor gear wear from billet cam >

Excessive distributor gear wear from billet cam

Notices

Excessive distributor gear wear from billet cam

Old 07-20-2012, 08:14 AM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by lil red
Is it just me or doesn't that look cast?
Looks like it to me.
Old 07-20-2012, 09:33 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Excessive distributor gear wear from billet cam-dsc00351.jpg
Not all billet cores are 2 piece. This a matched pair from Marine Kinetics.
The distributor is to high, the contact pattern is not correct.
If the gear is the correct one, you have another problem, I have seen excessive gear wear, due to high oil pump pressures.
If you have excessive cam end play, you will have wide wear tracking on cam lobes and signs that roller is walking back and forth in lifter body. What is the end play on cam shaft, if you have a stepped nose cam all should be good, if not cover flex or improper set-up.
Old 07-20-2012, 10:03 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

MER, it is a stepped nose cam (stock GM/Merc core), so timing cover flex should not be an issue. I did not install the cam so I can't say what the end play is on the Camshaft. I agree that the pattern seems a bit low on the gear, but how do you adjust for that? Longer distributor shaft would be the only way I could see correcting that.

Block was decked to square things up, and heads were milled, but don't have sheet in front of me to recall how much. Either way, those operations would have the wear pattern going high on the distributor gear, I would think.

Oil pump is a Melling 10778.
Old 07-20-2012, 10:09 AM
Registered

Do You have Your old gear ? Ck the gears together to make sure its the right gear.
Old 07-20-2012, 10:20 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by akaboatman
Do You have Your old gear ? Ck the gears together to make sure its the right gear.
Are you referring to the old distributor gear? They look pretty similar. As I understand it, it is difficult to tell if a gear is melonized just by looking at it. Can someone tell me how to verify?
Old 07-20-2012, 10:43 AM
Registered

Engine builder is suggesting that I go with Comp Cams' composite distributor gear. He says he has had good luck with those for all types of cams. Can anyone tell me whether Merc is using the .491 diameter shaft or the .500 shaft in their distributors? Anyone had any experience with these gears?
Old 07-20-2012, 10:52 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Budman II
MER, it is a stepped nose cam (stock GM/Merc core), so timing cover flex should not be an issue. I did not install the cam so I can't say what the end play is on the Camshaft. I agree that the pattern seems a bit low on the gear, but how do you adjust for that? Longer distributor shaft would be the only way I could see correcting that.

Block was decked to square things up, and heads were milled, but don't have sheet in front of me to recall how much. Either way, those operations would have the wear pattern going high on the distributor gear, I would think.

Oil pump is a Melling 10778.
If the oil pressure is normal, it would have to be the gear.
2 ways of getting gear located, one is a MSD distributor set-up tool and its also a priming tool. You could use gear contact pattern paste, machinist dye. I have the tool of course. To lower the distributor, you can measure how much to lower, then take the distributor apart then put in a lathe and machine the flange down. If thats not enough, I have welded up the void on the housing then machined it and installed a slip collar to adjust the height. Its alot of work if you have to take it to someone.
Old 07-20-2012, 10:54 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Sorry, I was looking at the picture. I see its a Gen VI with look plate.
Old 07-20-2012, 10:56 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Can you get a picture of cam in block, to see gear or lifter roller pattern on lobe? I'll be back later, work to do!
Old 07-20-2012, 10:59 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by MER Performance
To lower the distributor, you can measure how much to lower, then take the distributor apart then put in a lathe and machine the flange down. If thats not enough, I have welded up the void on the housing then machined it and installed a slip collar to adjust the height.
Yeah, it makes sense that machining some material off the flange on the housing would allow the distributor to set down in the hole a bit lower. Would the oil pump shaft also need to be machined down?

If I recall correctly, oil pressure was about 60 - 70 PSI at idle when cold, then drops to around 40 - 50 when oil warms up to 185*.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.