Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Is the mph correct for specs?? >

Is the mph correct for specs??

Notices

Is the mph correct for specs??

Old 07-23-2012, 12:35 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can't compare boats to cars. I can buy two nice cars for my single engine's cost alone. This is the sport of kings.
Old 07-23-2012, 02:22 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Oh I know, I sold one of the race cars for this boat
Old 07-23-2012, 02:34 PM
Registered

Received 29 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Martin718
You guys are talkin me right out of doing anything to this boat... Sucks but I don't want it to be a million dollar deal. Which I know doesn't make sense when referring to a BOAT
IMO- buy a boat that was engineered to go the speed that you want. Want a 80 mph boat, buy a stock one and leave it that way I spent nearly $40k trying to make a boat faster, and countless hours of learning things the hard way. If it's part of the hobby for you fine, but if boating is your real hobby don't push the limits of your set up or working on your boat will be your new hobby. Keep in mind many of the gear heads that hang out on here own large buildings with hoists, engine builders within reach, tons of knowledge, spare parts and other gear heads to help

The 25OL is a good boat, I think it has great room for the size. That engine (7.4mpi) is a cast TRUCK engine, and was never designed to be a high performance engine. I am more worried about your engine than your drive.

A blue merc 500hp will get you a reliable 68-70mph on that hull, and the drive will stand up if you are easy on it. Those engines (carb with gill exhaust) can be had used with all the accessories for $10k or less, or find an EFI 500 hp with CMI headers for about $15k. sell your old one for $3000k. The blue engine will aslo increase the value of your boat, will drop right in, a supercharged 7.4lmpi will most likely de-value your boat. With the blue you now will have an engine you can run WOT all day if you like

Even if your procharger can be had for $5k, I'll bet you the farm you will be at $10k when you are done, and you will always being looking over your shoulder and at your gauges.
Old 07-23-2012, 03:00 PM
Registered

Sounds like some really good and wise advice, I think I'll start looking at motors and at boats... If I could make a setup come together I'd keep the baja but like you said I need a good motor and drive to match
Old 07-23-2012, 03:03 PM
Registered

Received 29 Likes on 6 Posts

Sounds like some really good and wise advice, I think I'll start looking at motors and at boats... If I could make a setup come together I'd keep the baja but like you said I need a good motor and drive to match
Forgot to say that my 40k investment in my old boat never paid off, my new one is stock and 10 mph faster out of the box.....it will stay that way.........I think

500hp with a bravo1 is a good set up for your boat.
Old 07-23-2012, 03:07 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE=4bus;3736889]IMO- I spent nearly $40k trying to make a boat faster, and countless hours of learning things the hard way. If it's part of the hobby for you fine, but if boating is your real hobby don't push the limits of your set up or working on your boat will be your new hobby. QUOTE]

Amen!
If I only spent that little to get to 100 I'd be ecstatic. On my way home to fix the half dozen problems from a weekend of racing. Yes fixing it is my hobby now… Still fun!
Old 07-23-2012, 03:31 PM
Registered

Looking at a 500 with pro charger and looking at xr drive
Old 07-23-2012, 04:19 PM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

A good friend has a Checkmate 253 with a procharged 502. Dynoed at 713 hp so I would guess about 675hp in the boat. The boat has seen 82 and some change with a little more left in it.

Just mentioning it as I would assume the Outlaw is similar in size and weight.

He just grenaded his drive(stock Bravo) a couple weeks ago and that was after 3 seasons. Not sure how many were on it before he bought the boat.

Nice thing about the Procharger is it doesn't make boost until higher rpms so low rpm you have close to the same hp and torque as a stocker. But, it has to be done right and that costs $$$.
Old 07-23-2012, 04:45 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 814 Likes on 373 Posts

I have a 1999 baja outlaw 25' with a 454 mag MPI.
It has all new fuel pump, new injectors and complete new tune up.
I feel like the boat should be faster than it is, I have a 20 pitch prop on it and it comes out of water decent with trim tabs down but tops out at 56-58mph on gps with tabs up and trimmed up good with 5 people and a half a tank of fuel... The rpm is 4600... Nothing sounds wrong or anything I just expected more MPH out of it. I had a 23 pitch mirage but that resulted in a total fail! Would not hardly even plain out, labored the motor hard and it would only turn 4200 rpm at 52mph trimmed ALL THE WAY UP. So I'm looking for advice and or clarification. Maybe that's all this boat should run??

I was going to check the timing but I started to read up on it that you can't just throw a light on it and check it that way because of the computer will compensate??

Last resort will be forced induction but I'd like to save that subject of discussion for later after some input on this.
Thanks
Before you jump to a supercharger lets back this whole train wreck up to the station, first off there is somethiing rotten in Denmark here, your have OTHER problems. Most 25 outlaws run about 62 or so with 454 mags with 23 pitch 3 blades at 5100 or so and have 1.50 outdrive gears.
When I run your numbers thru the online caculator they do NOT compute, a 20 pitch prop at 58 mph and 4600 rpm computes at ZERO slip, boats like yours run 15-20% slip. Has this boat EVER ran right while you had it? My guess is someone put a drive on with 1.36 gears and you are so far out of the powerband your boat is a slug and has no speed, it should be all over the rev limiter with a 20 pitch prop on it. Post more info and we'll go from there.
IF your speed, rpms' and prop are truly correct ( 58 mph/4600/20 pitch) we have found your problem, Smitty
http://www.rbbi.com/folders/prop/propcalc.htm
Old 07-23-2012, 05:06 PM
Registered

I tried to run a mirage 23 pitch 3 blade yesterday and it took the trim fully up to get the motor to get to 4200 rpm and would only run 52mph... How can I determine the drive and what are you thinking the problem is?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.