procharger fuel system routing

Notices

procharger fuel system routing

Old 07-28-2012, 01:21 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 814 Likes on 373 Posts

Originally Posted by meansvt00
got a fuel pressure update. ran the pump into a bucket alot of fuel came out.so i reconnected everything and adjusted the regulator got the pressure set to 38 but as son as you apply the throttle it drops pressure.

i still think its the pump. i found some tiny metal particals in the bucket i ran the fuel into.

any thoughts
IF you kink off the return hose from the regulator your pressure will max out at whatever it can actually make , sounds like you did this already and there wasn't much there. The one thing I would do before condeming the pump is to put a volt meter on the pump when you do this and make sure you have full line voltage while maxing it out. Procharger has you wire the a1000 with those tiny little 16 gauge or so doorbell wires from the Mefi relay to run the pump, the first thing I tell guys to do with this setup is to use THOSE power wires to turn on a REAL relay (like a 30 amp or bigger) to power the fuel pump, if your voltage isn't there your pressure will be eratic and I can't imagine those stock fuel pump wires supporting more than 10 amps if even that! On my own boat I used a Bosch 50 amp relay wired with 10 gauge wire to a solid, direct power source, I have fought fuel system problems in the past with my Procharged motor too, Smitty
Old 07-28-2012, 04:18 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

in an attempt to eliminate all questions i just pulled the pump and regulator to check every line from tank to rail.

what i did find was when i pulled the boost ref line from the intake to the regulator was oil. the regulator was full of oil which will certainly make it malfunction.

i pulled the throttle body and don't see any signs of oil inside the intake and just to make sure i checked the discharge side of the sc and no oil there either.

i cleaned everything and was going to reassemble and test but a big rain storm moved in so as soon as it stops i will test it out
Old 07-29-2012, 08:47 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

as smitty was saying that fuel system is totally junk the way procharger and merc do it...make sure you use a aero A1000 pump, boost referenced regulator, trash the cool fuel, all filters, lines, etc...plumb with good larger line with high flow filter and a RETURN line back to the tank !!! most important...use heavy wire to relay for pump...do this and engine will live....for a while
Old 07-29-2012, 03:31 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by articfriends
IF you kink off the return hose from the regulator your pressure will max out at whatever it can actually make , sounds like you did this already and there wasn't much there. The one thing I would do before condeming the pump is to put a volt meter on the pump when you do this and make sure you have full line voltage while maxing it out. Procharger has you wire the a1000 with those tiny little 16 gauge or so doorbell wires from the Mefi relay to run the pump, the first thing I tell guys to do with this setup is to use THOSE power wires to turn on a REAL relay (like a 30 amp or bigger) to power the fuel pump, if your voltage isn't there your pressure will be eratic and I can't imagine those stock fuel pump wires supporting more than 10 amps if even that! On my own boat I used a Bosch 50 amp relay wired with 10 gauge wire to a solid, direct power source, I have fought fuel system problems in the past with my Procharged motor too, Smitty
+1 on the carb models i use a western snowplow solenoid and 8 ga wires..
in an attempt to eliminate all questions i just pulled the pump and regulator to check every line from tank to rail.

what i did find was when i pulled the boost ref line from the intake to the regulator was oil. the regulator was full of oil which will certainly make it malfunction.

i pulled the throttle body and don't see any signs of oil inside the intake and just to make sure i checked the discharge side of the sc and no oil there either.

i cleaned everything and was going to reassemble and test but a big rain storm moved in so as soon as it stops i will test it out
oil in the regulator,,mount it so that the vacume/boost pressure line from the intake is upside down,,this way when its not under boost it will suck the line clean before the boost pressure push's it into the regulator..
Old 07-29-2012, 09:06 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by ezstriper
as smitty was saying that fuel system is totally junk the way procharger and merc do it...make sure you use a aero A1000 pump, boost referenced regulator, trash the cool fuel, all filters, lines, etc...plumb with good larger line with high flow filter and a RETURN line back to the tank !!! most important...use heavy wire to relay for pump...do this and engine will live....for a while
i would love to re-plumb it with a return but the problem is the tank. there is only on fitting in the tank (the feed)
Old 07-29-2012, 09:22 PM
Registered

i cleaned and reinstalled the pump and regulator. i was able to get it working and the pressure set to 38 at idle. the issue i see now is when i apply the throttle a small amount, the pressure drops. if i abruptly hit the throttle and make boost the pressure rises like it should. but if i apply throttle no boost it falls a few pounds. the only thing is i didnt pull apart the cool fuel, injectors, or fuel rail. The pressure drops makes me think there is not enough fuel available like the pumps volume is down. I ran the pump into a bucket and it sure seemed to be moving enough fuel. God this is annoying
Old 07-30-2012, 10:20 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

ALL you have to do for the fuel return line is have a fitting made and cut the hose inside the boat where you fill the boat with gas and put a fitting in with an outlet for the fuel return line can connect to. A machine shop can make you one or you can call Young Performance and talk to Eddie and he can make a nice stainless steel one that works and looks great.
Old 07-30-2012, 03:30 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you can use the fitting in the filler hose, if you can get to it or get a universal sending unit for a diesel, already has a return line fitting right there...
Old 07-30-2012, 05:54 PM
Registered

Or you could buy one of these Return to Tank adapters from CPPerformance. http://www.cpperformance.com/c-500-f...s-returns.aspx.
If the pump is pushing out 18psi it will still flow a lot of fuel into a bucket, but without 38psi of pressure, it isn't going to run. It sure seems like the pump has an issue but you really need to check the power with a volt meter when the pressure drops.
Old 07-30-2012, 07:37 PM
Registered

Default fixx

i cleaned and reinstalled the pump and regulator. i was able to get it working and the pressure set to 38 at idle. the issue i see now is when i apply the throttle a small amount, the pressure drops. if i abruptly hit the throttle and make boost the pressure rises like it should. but if i apply throttle no boost it falls a few pounds. the only thing is i didnt pull apart the cool fuel, injectors, or fuel rail. The pressure drops makes me think there is not enough fuel available like the pumps volume is down. I ran the pump into a bucket and it sure seemed to be moving enough fuel. God this is annoying
set it at 40 psi and see if that does it,,if not try 36 for chits,may be too much spring pressure on the diaphram in the regulator..also make sure the hoses going to the intake and regulator are not leaking boost pressure..your really should not see boost pressure until around 3k and up..you may also not be in the proper boost range for the regulator to do its job..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.