EMI Thunder quality >

EMI Thunder quality

Notices

EMI Thunder quality

Old 07-09-2002, 01:13 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down EMI Thunder quality

put on two sets of emi thunders. one motor is fine. the other ran rough, water in the oil, hard starting etc.etc. plug # 2,4,6,&8 were wet with water. replaced head gasket, intake gasket, still same problem. couldn't be the brand new riser gasket right? wrong. i made a gasket out of cork, but decided to double check and see how flat the mating surfaces were between the manifold and the riser. the riser was good but i had to file and sand on the manifold surface for a long time with 80 grit paper. two ridges were very high. problem solved but after much wasted time and money.
Old 07-09-2002, 01:26 PM
liquid lounge

Made with pride....en Mexico

Old 07-09-2002, 02:31 PM
Gone Fishin'
Charter Member

I have not had this problem with mine, and I've had them off several times for engine repairs (and I mean SEVERAL TIMES!!). Only real complaint I have is the finsih is bubbled, and these have never been overheated. Other than that, I'm happy.
Old 07-09-2002, 03:23 PM
NObaja

Just replaced my leaky lightnings witha set, no problems, I didn't use any rtv on the riser gaskets. No performance difference from the tube headers on my 468.

Old 07-09-2002, 03:37 PM
Registered

may be i got the set that was made an a friday night or monday morning (that got dropped on the floor before the powder coating). i guess i should have looked at everything more thoroughly when the brass pipe plugs wouldn't thread in more than a couple threads without a tap being run through them and sand fell out of the manifold when i turned it upside down.
the only sealant i used the first time on both sets on both engines was a light coating of copper spray a gasket. the second time, home-made cork gasket with no sealant and no leaks on one of the four risers. i will check the other three now that i'm paranoid.
Old 07-10-2002, 08:33 PM
99baja342

Default EMI's

I took off the stock manifolds and risers then put on EMI's manifolds and risers. I do not seem to have any problems with them. The boat runs good and sounds good with the EMI's. It is too bad you got a bad set. Eddie Marine seems to be a good company to work with. Although, it is getting harder and harder to get quality out of any company. My 1 year old truck had to have its rearend rebuilt because the seals started to leak. I thought that was poor quality!

Old 07-10-2002, 08:39 PM
Registered

I bought new EMI's this spring.,. no problems yet.. i am running my riser water out water dumps inthe transom. But just like foul's mine have been bubbling the fusion coating ... and some of it is fuzzy rough like.. ....... looks like zits on a worn out hooker's ass
Old 07-10-2002, 08:52 PM
Registered

Our mechanic(for us Southern Maryland/Patuxent river guys) spent many many many thousands of dollars with eddie marine just last year. Always been a first rate company and he has put on i'm sure at least 20 pairs of EMI thunders w/ S.S. risers and have never once had a problem. As we all know, there will always be product failure in anything.

I had the same problem as you except my boat had less than 10 hours on it. It was on my stock Mercury manifolds and I too had to take the grinding wheel and do circles by hand until it was smooth.
Old 07-11-2002, 04:26 PM
DJW
Registered

I have two sets with stainless risers and have had no problems. Seems to be a good product for the price. I also gained 3 MPH.
Old 07-11-2002, 04:34 PM
Registered

The guy that built my engine siad it is what he usually uses when a customer wants exhaust too... been using them for 7 yrs ..not sure how many sets but never had any failures ..my last set of gils were put on in 91 salt only use .. the manifolds sarted pinholing on a couple bad spots.. I thought that was a pretty good record also

Quick Reply: EMI Thunder quality

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.