Can I use these heads? >

Can I use these heads?

Notices

Can I use these heads?

Old 08-22-2012, 09:34 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can I use these heads?

I bought some Dart Eagle Iron BBC heads from an OSO member and discovered two of the heads have a holes leading from the exhaust runner into the head bolt cavity. The heads were unported so this was caused by corrosion. Is it okay to run these or should I be looking for some new castings?

http://i534.photobucket.com/albums/e...IMAG0271-1.jpg
Old 08-22-2012, 10:22 AM
Gold Member

about 15yrs ago i had a set of heads that iwas porting for one of my drag cars.i put a hole in the exhaust port hear where your crack is,they were not gm heads,but cast iron.my engine guy sent the head to a guy that gas welded them.he stuck the whole head in a industral oven and heated the head red.took it out and made the repair and slowly backed the heat down.i was told this was a all day deal.the patch heald.check w/your motor guys.i am sure they have some body that does this sort of repair.
Old 08-22-2012, 12:00 PM
Registered

Received 121 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by jvcobra
I bought some Dart Eagle Iron BBC heads from an OSO member and discovered two of the heads have a holes leading from the exhaust runner into the head bolt cavity. The heads were unported so this was caused by corrosion.
They would be on the way back to who sold them to me or to the recycling bin. One or the other.
Old 08-22-2012, 12:23 PM
Registered

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by f_inscreenname
They would be on the way back to who sold them to me or to the recycling bin. One or the other.
x2
Old 08-22-2012, 01:08 PM
Registered

If the seller wont take them back, I think I would call in a professional for evaluation on the repair procedure and cost. Those heads (new) are only about $1800 with good valves and springs. Dont get to upside down in them.
Old 08-22-2012, 02:35 PM
Registered

Ok, thanks for the responses. I'm not bashing the seller, he is working with me to fix it. Just wanted to make sure I wasn't being unreasonable about not wanting to use them.
Old 08-22-2012, 10:21 PM
Registered

ive ran heads like that alot but only on race car motors .had no problem.
the hole goes through the head bolt hole when porting , but if its from corrosion i would be afraid of where the next hole is going to be. hope you get your $ back.
Old 08-23-2012, 06:36 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

door stop material....
Old 08-23-2012, 07:56 AM
Registered

Thanks, decided not to use them. Hopefully I can recoup some money and look for better castings so I can get moving again.
Old 08-24-2012, 01:45 AM
Registered

I had a set of those heads with the same problem in one exhaust ports. My machinist opened up the head bolt hole by drilling it out and pressed a sleeve into it. Worked great! There was a small "bump" in the port from the sleeve but Imo was very minimal and it did fix the problem.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.