Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Exhaust Gaskets, Restricted vs. Open? >

Exhaust Gaskets, Restricted vs. Open?

Notices

Exhaust Gaskets, Restricted vs. Open?

Old 08-29-2012, 07:35 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey thanks Blue Thunder, is this what you did? http://www.imcomarine.com/cal_store/...taller-sa.html Those are expensive...these will work with my existing manifolds? Do they really last longer then the stock stuff or do these need to be replaced as often? I have seen some used stuff out there from GIL and IMCO, are leaks as common? Should I avoid used?
Old 08-30-2012, 07:27 AM
Registered

Yes those are it. Mine lasted great, fixed the problem of leaks that 3" spacer was causing and in the end I sold them on OSO for 75% of what I paid for them when I went to headers. I would have no problem buying used ones either as there is not that much to them to cause leakes. Not like a tube header. Make sure you buy the shifter/module brackets though, relocating that stuff got to be a cluster. They did not offer those when I did mine about 10 yrs ago or I would have for sure used them.
Old 08-30-2012, 11:33 AM
Registered

Received 121 Likes on 39 Posts

A thousand dollars a riser?? Hell you can buy a whole set up for 2200 on their site but they want 2 grand just for risers? IMHO Thats just stupid.

Last edited by f_inscreenname; 08-30-2012 at 11:37 AM.
Old 08-30-2012, 06:22 PM
Registered

f inscreename, I know hah? I am thinking that's alot of money to put ontop of some crappy GLM manifolds..on the other hand they are new manifolds and I already have sticker shock...haha. However it's 1000 for a pair, but I have two motors so I am 2k for both engines vs. 5k for complete setups at 2500 a pair. I have really mixed emotions. Then there is this http://www.ebay.com/itm/160872905195...84.m1423.l2649 do you guys think these will really work? The listing says they can be "retrofit" but I have read other posts that say the 496 stuff in NOT compatible. But I am tempted to give it a shot at this price. Even if its just for one motor, this is dirt cheap!

Last edited by smugglers blues; 08-30-2012 at 06:24 PM. Reason: typo
Old 08-30-2012, 07:23 PM
Registered

Its 900 per set.
Old 08-31-2012, 12:50 AM
Registered

I know the 496 exhaust will work because I am using them on my 454 Mark IV (496 stroker) now. Now will it be tall enough.... not sure if even the "tall" 496 risers will be tall enough being they are not that tall to begin with. So you will be stuck using spacers again and the spacers for the 496 exhaust must be made of gold cause they are insanely high priced.
I have the same issue with the race boat. The front motor sits so low in the hull that I have to use 2 six inch spacers per side. Thought about using 496 exhaust manifolds and risers and trying to find someone to cut the risers apart and make them taller. The risers are just SS tube and look easy for someone to extend for someone who knows how to weld.
Old 08-31-2012, 01:18 AM
Registered

Yeah I have been reading about that all night. I need to measure my setup now and then find measurements for the 496. It looks like they made several different risers for the 496, but yes...price is nuts. I see complete EMI setups on ebay for around 1400/pair, I don't know how tall their risers are. It says to call when you order so they can get it right. If the I can get the height dialed in, used 496 stuff looks like the way to go. Do you agree?
Old 08-31-2012, 10:59 AM
Registered

Its a lot better then stock 454 stuff thats for sure and the prices for the most part cant be beat. If it will work thats the way I would go.