Draining your oil >

Draining your oil

Notices

Draining your oil

Old 08-27-2012, 05:45 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ebendrey
I think I'll go this route because of the transom plug size issue. Thanks.
In the end, I also decided to go this route, also got one for my F-150 and my wife's Escape. I got them and just installed the F-150 one today since it was due for an oil change.

These are mighty trick little pieces.

My hope is I can actually get to the one on the boat, since it is also due. I'll suck out what I can, then pull the pan plug and install it. It is going to suck getting it in the first time...but will pay off in the end I hope.
Old 08-28-2012, 09:00 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

MnFastBoat has the idea - I use the same vacuum pump, but I have a fitting on the end of mine that screws into the fitting on the hose that attaches to the oil pan drain. I fish the plastic tube from the "oil sucker" up thru the drain hole in the bilge, and then attach it to the hose coming from the pan. Then all I have to do is pump the oil out into the reservoir. It takes maybe 10 minutes to drain it all out, and creates very little mess. I wish I could say the same about the damned oil filter hanging off of that sandwich adapter! I'm working on a solution for that mess as well.
Old 08-28-2012, 09:46 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't know about you guys, but good luck getting a hose out of my drain plug even if it went thru it !!!!! hudinni could not get down there !
Old 08-29-2012, 06:20 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by ezstriper
I don't know about you guys, but good luck getting a hose out of my drain plug even if it went thru it !!!!! hudinni could not get down there !
heard he tried !!
Old 08-29-2012, 06:38 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Here is what I use, I just hook a 3/8 hose and drain, engine builder installed on last rebuild not sure where he got it, dosent leak a drop

http://www.quickoildrainvalve.com/
Old 08-29-2012, 08:01 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by ezstriper
It sucks installing it the first time (unless you aleady have the engine out) but you attach the hose to the plug so when you pull the plug, you pull it through (or close enough to help it through) the drain plug hole.
Old 08-29-2012, 11:38 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Using my method, I just stick the suction tube through the bilge drain from the outside. The tubing is stiff enough to "aim" it up towards the top of the engine, where it can easily be grabbed and attached to the drain hose coming off the oil pan. Plus, as mentioned, the pump comes in real handy for draining other fluids, like rear ends, transmissions, drive lube and PS reservoirs, etc.
Old 09-26-2012, 07:45 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Question

I plan on putting the drain plug line on this weekend. But don't have an oil pump, so how do I get the oil out?

I don't want to drain it in the boat, that would be a brutal mess (and the boat is spotless)

I might be able to get a small container under, but getting is out is the hard part (once the oil is in it)

Don't want to buy a pump, since I'll never use it again.

Any suggestions?

P.S. Why merc does not put these on from the factory baffles me!
Old 09-26-2012, 07:48 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Question Does the Sierra fit a 500HP?? is it s 1/2" 20 thread?

I've ordered this one, but read a post and they say there are two sizes of drain plugs for mercs (old ones and "newer" one)

"This kit is for GM, Chrysler & Most Ford Oil Pans 1/2" -- 20 Thread"

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs...classNum=50402
Old 09-26-2012, 02:22 PM
Registered

For what it's worth, I added the drain hoses to the bottom of the pans on a boat a couple years ago.

One motor was out for rebuild, so we drained the one that was still installed with a vac pump via the dipstick. When we pulled the drainplug, there were only a couple of drops that came out. As long as your dipstick goes down to the bottom of the pan like it should the vacuum pumps get the majority of the oil out of the pan.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.