Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
are parts supposed to be this expensive?! >

are parts supposed to be this expensive?!

Notices

are parts supposed to be this expensive?!

Old 09-04-2012, 12:24 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Nothing personal against you, but I would highly suggest you try and learn the bare essentials to work on your boat. With the aid of YouTube you could probably learn to build A boat from scratch. There are how to videos for everything. I have never done any Fiberglass work in my life but with the aid of a few really good boat rebuilds showing layup schedules, how to, etc I was able to do stringer work on one of my boats which a shop wanted 2000 to do. It cost me a fraction of that in material and just my time (which is the hardest part these days). I recently got into boating a few years ago and due to one of my first outboard motor boats I had to learn how to work on them to an extent because I got sick of paying the boat repair shop for nothing. Same thing. Pay, bring boat to water all to have same or similar or new problem pop up. My current performance boat i bought it as a hull minus motor. Through YouTube I learned how to align the motor among many marine specific applications that I never knew anything about. At the end of the day this boat had been like a diesel truck and always works. Sure I have had a couple bumps in the road getting all the bugs worked out, but since then it's been 150 hours of pure fun!!! I can say the same for the other two boats I bought and are a constant pain in the azz due to other people doing half ass work to collect a check and be on there way.

I've done wiring, mechanics (own a machine/fab shop do that's the easier part for me), fiberglass, minor drive repair etc and by no means have I come across anything that was very hard. The biggest pain about working on a boat is space when in the engine bay or running wires. Next to that it's not terribly hard.

I hear your frustration in your posts as I've had the same with my other outboard motor boats. The Internet is a unbelievable resource to find out ways to do things. If it weren't for it I would not have a boat because couldn't refuse to pay these knuckle heads over and over again to do stuff they can't get right on the first or even second shot. At least the ones I've dealt with.

Good luck. This is a great site and has ton of people that are willing to help. There are already posters in your thread who have answered a ton of my questions. I hope to at some point be able to contribute back to the site as its helped me a to!!

Sorry for the grammer. Made this post on stupid phone as I'm stock in a waiting room.

Last edited by cp5899; 09-04-2012 at 12:27 PM.