Notices

stuck valve

Old 09-08-2012, 04:23 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default stuck valve

Need some help here. I was running along in my boat when i hit a very larg pile of floating seaweed. It cloged my sea strainer the temp gauge went up right away and the alarm went off and i shut the boat down. cleaned the strainer out went to re start the boat to pump the cool water through it. When i hit the key it cranked over than a clunk and it locked up. When i took it to the shop the #7 exhaust Valve was snaped off and locked the motor up. The spring and clip and rocker arm were all still there and right.

My question is would the over heat cause the valve to stick open letting the piston hit it and snap the valve off?
Old 09-08-2012, 05:10 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Horse power

My question is would the over heat cause the valve to stick open letting the piston hit it and snap the valve off?
Positively.
Old 09-08-2012, 05:38 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yeppers! also check that cylinder for cracks,had a friend do the same thing,then he pulled the head and when i got to his house i found a crack from when the piston rocked in the cylinder..rear cylinders are thin..
Old 09-09-2012, 09:02 AM
Registered

Ok thanks guys.