head gaskets sbc vortec? >

head gaskets sbc vortec?

Notices

head gaskets sbc vortec?

Old 09-09-2012, 10:43 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default head gaskets sbc vortec?

what fel pro head gasket should i use for a sbc 350h.o. 330hp vortec heads ,having some porting and gasket matching done to the heads,and a cam change.does felpro make a ful set for this set up.in jegs its part number 809-19210007 350ho base,says for pre 1978.HELP.THANK YOU
Old 09-09-2012, 11:13 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 1,234 Likes on 688 Posts

FelPro 17232 is a full set, but it comes with a composite head gasket and stock-style (meaning prone to leaking) intake gaskets. I think the head gasket is too thick.

Quench should be right at .039. Figuring that the piston is .020 to .025" down the hole at TDC, you need a gasket that is .020 .015" to maintain the designed quench figure. This is how I ran my Vortec engine in the Stinger. That would be really tight on the quench so make sure your pistons are where they should be.

Go with a FelPro Q1094 (rubber coated .015 shim). I believe Dennis Moore even recommends these in his book on small block performance. Use FelPro 1255 paper gaskets for the intake.

That's how I'd do it.