Don't know jack about a BBC, please help >

Don't know jack about a BBC, please help

Notices

Don't know jack about a BBC, please help

Old 09-11-2012, 10:48 PM
Registered
Gold Member

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

I know horse power takes money, I'm gathering bits N pieces for a 383 for my boat now. We would be miles ahead if he was starting with a MAG motor but it's not so I'm thinking now we need to find a good drop in like you guys suggested and put the 330 on the shelf for a spare. If you guys come across anything decent let me know, not really in a rush, but it would be a fun winter project to get the ball rolling on this
Old 09-12-2012, 09:36 AM
Registered

Received 44 Likes on 11 Posts

I took a gen 6 block (roller cam block) and used the stock crank, stock length scat rods, Probe forged pistons .60 over bore small dome pistons, custom bob madera roller cam, crane gold roller rockers, a set of ported large oval ports, dual plane intake, and a 850 demon carb and made 450 hp and 512 ft/lbs torque on about 9.5 to 1 compression. I also have dry exhaust so I didn't have to worry about reversion with the cam. I have since switched the heads to world 320 cc heads so I am figuring maybe closer to 500 hp now. I don't have anywhere near $7,000 grand in this motor. The way I see it the cam will be the limiting factor for you due to the exhaust but you should call Bob Madera and he can tell you how to get hp you want on a tight a budget.
Old 09-12-2012, 01:28 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

He doesn't have the crank, the rods, or the roller motor...big difference.
Old 09-12-2012, 08:36 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pretty much agree with what others have said. Your 330 doesn't have any of the good parts you would want to get good HP. It would be a little different if it were a Magnum motor. Best thing is to sell the 330 motor and do one of 2 things. Either get a 454 Magnum motor and go the blower method, or look for a newer 496 or 502 and start with that.