Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
HUGE favor… What is this CC 245 Limited Worth??? New Guy! Video included! >

HUGE favor… What is this CC 245 Limited Worth??? New Guy! Video included!

Notices

HUGE favor… What is this CC 245 Limited Worth??? New Guy! Video included!

Old 09-12-2012, 08:03 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I thought his asking price was fair...

Last edited by SLOWBRAH; 09-13-2012 at 10:31 PM.
Old 09-12-2012, 09:00 AM
Registered

Looks painful.
Judging from the way the owner just parked it uncovered under trees, on a badly incorrect trailer, strapped down; there is a TON more work.
The fiberglass looks decent but even if he gave it to you, you will stil end up in the hole between engine "suprises" and interior.

Walk away, there are better deals from people that have taken care of their stuff.

Not much quality is found at the 5k level, kind of like a 2k car. I would open your search up to 8-10k if at all possible, you will find much better taken care of stuff.
Fiberglass nics, vinyl issues, occasional water pump or alt are one thing, scrape too far down the barrel and bad motors, drives, transom rot can quietly ruin a "cheap" boat.

Last edited by ChargeIt; 09-12-2012 at 09:10 AM.
Old 09-12-2012, 09:56 AM
Registered

Thanks for the guidance.... I'm just a poor gov't guy try to get on the water with style! I suppose that I'll keep saving.

Anyone know anything about the $1200 245 in york that was posted on here earlier. I tried calling the guy. Also... How do I check the transom on these boats??
Old 09-12-2012, 10:56 AM
Registered

I text the guy in York. Boat is sold. That could have been a nice cheap ride.
Old 09-12-2012, 11:17 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by seltzer
I text the guy in York. Boat is sold. That could have been a nice cheap ride.

Yep... just got off of the phone with him. That looked like a killer deal. Of course, as I have found out, I'm not the best at spotting "Deals".

How do I check the transom on these boats. I can tell by looking at the stern drive that she sat in water for quite some time. I'm wanting a boat like this so bad I can taste it!!!!
Old 09-12-2012, 12:28 PM
Registered

Received 749 Likes on 402 Posts

Be honest with yourself here. Say you find a $5K - $6K boat that isn't a total rat and is structural sound. Do you have the budget to keep the boat running? I'm not talking gas, insurance, registration, basic maintenance, etc. Do you have the budget to handle a broken upper gear in the outdrive? What about a leaking riser/manifold gasket wiping out a cylinder? Even less expensive items such as steering cables, throttle/shifters and cables, trim pumps, trim rams, etc. can add up quickly if multiple items need addressed at once. If your budget is a $6K boat, be prepared to spend that amount again over the next year to three years keeping it running. Not to say you can't find something that gives you little to no trouble but that is the exception, not the rule on older boats. Don't get yourself into a position to where your $6K investment sits because you do not have the funds to handle the inevitable significant mechanical expense(s). Best of luck in your search.
Old 09-12-2012, 01:15 PM
Registered

^ Very True... Looks like I'm going to be handing out gas money for the next season or so. My father and I are looking to get in a bigger boat together. After this next season I believe that the two of us can make some magic happen. We try to do most everything ourselves as well. We have a full shop; directed towards cars/motorcycles..... It's simply impossible to beat a good weekend on the water. I am just new to this style boat.

We are wanting a closed bow, V8, 22 - 26 ft boat. That $1200 CC 245 would have fit the bill!!
Old 09-13-2012, 11:18 AM
Registered

Received 110 Likes on 82 Posts

Be patient. You need to find a boat that isn't trashed AND from someone who's in a pinch to get rid of it.

To check for hull rot look for blistered fiberglass and tap on it. If it sounds hollow run away.
Old 09-13-2012, 02:02 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Trash
Be patient. You need to find a boat that isn't trashed AND from someone who's in a pinch to get rid of it.

To check for hull rot look for blistered fiberglass and tap on it. If it sounds hollow run away.

Thanks!! I make a really low offer and point out yall's concerns and see what happens. I have several friends that know the say it is a really good soild hull and that the drive should be 100%. They are confident in this other motor. So, I'll see what happens when I low ball him. I'm using that craigslist add!!
Old 09-13-2012, 02:29 PM
Registered

Received 29 Likes on 6 Posts

I just watched your video, that round red thing that you ask "what is this" in the video is a battery selector switch for multiple batteries.....that being said, are you sure you know what you are getting into?

This could be a hobby and a learning experience for you. I understand for a person on a budget a large amount of money over time is more desirable than a lesser amount all up front. I also think you will learn a lot from restoring this boat, and that may be valuable later on your next boat. My guess is you will have $10k into this when you are finally done, if you make it that far.

1. Don't expect to profit from this
2. Take your time, do it right, no cob jobs
3. Try to find a blown up complete engine for spare accessories and part, seeing one together will help you a ton, and you will have parts to pick from, I am sure you are missing stuff.

Lastly I don't think this is the best forum for you IMO. "The hull truth" may be a better place for this type of project. Not saying that to be pretentious, but the answers you get on this forum may be out of your budget. What may be ok for you, will not be ok for many on here, I just don't want to see you turn into another OSO classic, as entertaining as that will be this winter.

Now, if you want to do your new ride OSO style.

1. Strip the hull, down to nothing, send the hull out to Mitcher T for paint $20k
2. Then send the hull out to XT for new interior, monster gauges $15k
3. Full LED lighting package, and transom lights $1k
4. Have Eddie young build you a 540 with whipple, 800hp should be good $30k
5. Order a new IMCO drive to handle that power, and full hydo steering $27k
6. Call Myco for a new trailer $12k
7. Go to the towing section and see what they recommend you tow this with, my guess is at least an F650

See why they think it is worth nothing?

Good luck, and enjoy your project. But but don't start a new thread every day asking if you can reuse a sea pump impeller. If you do stay, we all bust balls, be prepared and don't let it get to you

Last edited by 4bus; 09-13-2012 at 03:48 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.