Using 4 blade SSM III or IV props on a SSM II

Notices

Using 4 blade SSM III or IV props on a SSM II

Old 09-11-2012, 11:11 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 99 Likes on 53 Posts
Default Using 4 blade SSM III or IV props on a SSM II

Here is my situation. My boat has SSM II drives on it now. The props are 15x23 3 blade cleavers. Labor day weekend I bent the ear of one of the props and Johnnys prop shop in Detroit says they cant fix it, it is too thin. From what I have been reading my props are a 19 spline small shaft similar to the shaft in a SSM III. Will 3 or 4 blade props off a SSM III fit on my drives? I believe they are both 19 spline and 1 3/8 dia shafts
Old 09-12-2012, 11:02 AM
Offshoreonly Advertiser
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Received 159 Likes on 89 Posts

They will fit the shaft but not fit the application. Most of those drives were mounted pretty deep and need that small diamter/thin prop. If you had the bigger props trimmed they would work. But I would not run a 4 blade as they are harder on the drive.
Old 09-12-2012, 11:15 AM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Honestly dude, I would yank the ssm ii's off, and bolt TRS on the boat. Get yourself some bravo/trs style 4 blades. The boat will probably run alot better.

Check ebay for some small shaft, small diameter cleavers for the ssm ii. Ive seen them on there quite a bit.
Old 09-12-2012, 05:33 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 99 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by MILD THUNDER
Honestly dude, I would yank the ssm ii's off, and bolt TRS on the boat. Get yourself some bravo/trs style 4 blades. The boat will probably run alot better.

Check ebay for some small shaft, small diameter cleavers for the ssm ii. Ive seen them on there quite a bit.
As intriguing as having the SSM IIs hanging off the back I know your right. I'm just now getting the boat back in the water after 7 years and getting back into using the boat. Im putting a lot on my money right now at replacing stuff that has deterorated over the years ( raw water hoses, bilge pumps, electrical parts) I'd sell the SSM IIs but dont know how much they are worth. Maybe I could pick up TRS lowers to bolt to my uppers.