Raylar 496 kit >

Raylar 496 kit

Notices

Raylar 496 kit

Old 11-20-2012, 09:23 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Cartscarts
THe Raylar kit is more top end gear, or "long" motor gear(heads, roller rockers, intake, throttle body, cam and pistons with bigger valve relief) plus ECU uprade. You are looking to sell short block which from your description does not include the "kit" gear? Or have I mis understood?

CHris Carter
Carts,

You are correct in that originally the kit was only or mostly top end. However, they also had a deal where in which you could send your entire engine to them. They would rebuild the entire rotating assembly and then put the kits on top.

So what I am offering is the bottom end - nicely finished block, line bored, decked & with slightly larger pistons etc. So to get to the 600 this was necessary.

This was the fix for the bad stock pistons but also made the engine a lot more reliable at that power.

The short block I'm selling is no longer "just a 496". It's at or close to 509 with forged pistons, bigger rods & forged crank.

Last edited by SDFever; 11-20-2012 at 09:41 AM.
Old 11-21-2012, 08:27 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by SDFever
Carts,

You are correct in that originally the kit was only or mostly top end. However, they also had a deal where in which you could send your entire engine to them. They would rebuild the entire rotating assembly and then put the kits on top.

So what I am offering is the bottom end - nicely finished block, line bored, decked & with slightly larger pistons etc. So to get to the 600 this was necessary.

This was the fix for the bad stock pistons but also made the engine a lot more reliable at that power.

The short block I'm selling is no longer "just a 496". It's at or close to 509 with forged pistons, bigger rods & forged crank.
So what are you doing with your heads, intake, throttle body etc? Will these go on the Dart 600 block?

Last edited by Cartscarts; 11-21-2012 at 08:29 PM. Reason: MIstake
Old 11-22-2012, 08:35 AM
Registered

There is a pair listed in the classifieds with the 103 kit no exhaust....seems to be a great price and he will split.

http://www.offshoreonly.com/classifi...o48207-en.html
Old 11-22-2012, 10:35 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Cartscarts
So what are you doing with your heads, intake, throttle body etc? Will these go on the Dart 600 block?
I'm keeping except the built short block.
Old 11-22-2012, 10:39 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Baja_man
There is a pair listed in the classifieds with the 103 kit no exhaust....seems to be a great price and he will split.

http://www.offshoreonly.com/classifi...o48207-en.html
One of those has a broken piston so you would need to add in the cost of fixing that as well. The price in the ad is not "reality".

Just be careful.
Old 11-22-2012, 11:25 AM
Registered

One of those has a broken piston so you would need to add in the cost of fixing that as well. The price in the ad is not "reality".

Just be careful.

If one could be had for $4000-4500 I think it is a good deal....you can hardly get a block for that price. Either way I would freshen it up before using again. And the cost of just the 103 kit is like $8K for one??
Old 11-22-2012, 11:58 AM
Registered

If one could be had for $4000-4500 I think it is a good deal....you can hardly get a block for that price. Either way I would freshen it up before using again. And the cost of just the 103 kit is like $8K for one??
Well, if you figure you can have a 600 inch block brand new for 2K..

And the 496 block has those junk pistons in it..

And if you consider I'd be doing well to get 4500 for mine with all the good stuff and block work that's been done..

I don't see how anybody would be willing to pay that plus what it cost to make it right. If only because you pay 4 to 5k but then have to spend at least another say 2k + and not have anything very nice??

Opinions vary but having been through this with this engine multiple times I don't think they're worth much and the one with low compression you may as well plan on spending 6k on it after you pay the purchase price.

Also depends on what your skill set is. Just my opinion but I think a stock 496 bottom end that is in good shape would bring around 2500 UNLESS you have nothing to start with. But even then, the numbers start putting a buyer in other directions once you have to pony up to spending much at all.

If a guy has a block that is not damaged then the cheapest way is just to fix that one with god parts.

Both of those engines have stock pistons with higher compression from the kits so they are on borrowed time regardless of condition.
Old 11-22-2012, 12:34 PM
Registered

Just my opinion but I think a stock 496 bottom end that is in good shape would bring around 2500
I agree and then add in the 300 hour BCK-103 Kit it comes with...$4000-4500 is not bad at all....and I agree, you would need to go through it to make it right. The OP was looking for a Raylar kit and this is a used alternative.
Old 11-22-2012, 02:39 PM
Registered

I agree and then add in the 300 hour BCK-103 Kit it comes with...$4000-4500 is not bad at all....and I agree, you would need to go through it to make it right. The OP was looking for a Raylar kit and this is a used alternative.
Sure, if the heads are in good shape it could really pencil out. And there isn't anything in that kit limited to 300 hours.

Get the block all dialed. Re-lap the valves and do springs should be good and to your point it would be a cheaper alternative for sure. I didn't realize he was letting them go with the parts.

Would be good to know if they have the cast or forged cranks in them..
Old 11-22-2012, 06:57 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 866 Likes on 325 Posts

Why the strange lift brackets? Sure they arent truck engines?

IMO, they arent worth that kind of money. Especially since they arent complete with throttle body, sensors, ECM, cooler, water pump, alternator.... Assuming you need to rebuild, the blocks have little value. When I rebuilt mine I needed a block and found dozens on craigslist for $300.